View Single Post
Old 12-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #58
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
I have long thought the shipper got the destination charge fee and that neither GM nor Chevrolet got any part of it. I have never attempted to research this because, frankly, I do not know where to go unless possessing credentials/passwords that are beyond my sphere of influence.

The one charge no matter the destination is not a deal with the Teamsters - it is a deal with the individual franchisees. I remember when the destination charge was based on distance from the assembly plant, which was true in the sixties and for all decades preceding the sixties. May even the seventies, but those are years I may not accurately remember.

So if you bought a car in 1965 and took delivery from a dealer 30 miles from the plant you paid say $15 for shipping but if your dealer was say 3000 miles from the plant you paid $150 for shipping. This was when a Chevy cost $3000. a Corvette just over $4000 and a Cadillac as much as $5000, so $135 more may not seem too much today but then was a significant difference. Needless to say, the dealers wanted a more equitable arrangement and the one size fits all destination fee is the result.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote