View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #11
yellowray

Drives: C7 ordered
I sniped this from a post on another forum:
Author: Chuck Hawks, a professional driver
"I'm not being compensated or enticed to write all these praises. In fact I'm taking this up on my own accord and no one outside of you, the reader and me even know that I'm penning this. With that being said, I'll be honest when I say that while the audio system looks pretty; the sound quality leaves a good bit for me to desire. Many people will say that the audio system should be the exhaust note (and damn this car's exhaust note is AWESOME!) or that they are not an audiophile and it doesn't really matter to them. Well, I am an audiophile with a history in the industry of recording arts and high-end consumer gear (another chapter of my life...)

The car I was driving had the 10-speaker audio system that includes a sub-woofer mounted in a 15 liter box. Apparently, the designers did not take time to do any math around acoustically fitting the sub to the payload area, or tuning it to its cabinet size. That or they must have simply thought bigger is better and that's it. The system, with tone controls set flat sounds enormously boomy and the bass response is as floppy and inaccurate as a bowl of el-dente noodles. If you like big, blurry bass to the point that your license plate holder is rattling loud enough to be heard inside the car, or you're one of those people who immediately and automatically turn up the bass without even listening to the system and no regard for anything else in the song that's on, then you might enjoy this system. I ended up turning the bass down about 1/2 to 2/3 of its adjustable range and it still sounded boomy and inaccurate to me. Any lower than that and it immediately went anemic. Last week, a GM engineer told me that the audio team wanted more space for their boom box sub but were told no. Good call... I can't imagine what they were thinking.

I did get in a different car at the track that did not have the boom-box sub option and its system sounded adequate. Not fantastic but better than the more expensive system with the sub."
yellowray is offline   Reply With Quote