View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWF07 View Post
I found a post on another forum and found it interesting and also a little alarming. It seems that the Direct Injection can cause carbon deposits to build up over a semi short period of time on the intake valve. This can cause a loss of power. There are documented reports on the BMW, the Audi and the VW, so I would think that it happens on other DI engines. It appears that the assistant GM engineer for V6 engines is aware of the problem.

here is a link to the article, http://www.edmunds.com/autoobserver-...-adopters.html

I would hope that with GM being aware of this potential problem, and with over 6,000 CPU hours spent on the LT1 combustion chamber design they have addressed thsis
All new technologies have their advantages and disadvantages. Carbon build up is an issue in all engines (even the current LS engines) but it is particularly bad in the new generation of DI engines because fuel never flows over the intake valves (or in some cases in a very limited amount). The key is to get an effective catch can in place as soon as possible. The good news is that since you are aware ahead of time you can be prepared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
It should be fine since GM does not have a problem with buildup on the V6 engines. I would also assume that the LT1 doesn't have a problem because of its extensive combustion testing.
On the contrary, the LLT and LFX actually do suffer greatly from carbon build up.

Last edited by Apex Motorsports; 10-11-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote