Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Name:  Starsshine.jpg
Views: 2795
Size:  35.2 KB

Stars shine at fittings for GM red carpet event
January 6, 2007

BY JULIE HINDS

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

It was like Hollywood on Mound Road -- with a pinch of CIA tossed in -- as a swarm of celebrities gathered Friday at the General Motors design center in Warren.

The stars chatted about what they'll be wearing at tonight's GM Style event, a glittering invitation-only fashion show in downtown Detroit that's generating buzz for the North American International Auto Show.

But they couldn't talk about which vehicles they'll accompany on the runway or other hush-hush subjects.

"I don't know if I'm allowed to say," joked actor Christian Slater as he avoided going into specifics about his tour of GM's design inner sanctum. "They might have to kill me."

Wearing jeans and a puffy coat, Slater divulged to reporters that he'll be duded up in Dolce & Gabbana tonight.

"Why are there so many secrets in Detroit? What are you people doing here?" teased Cheryl Hines of HBO's "Curb Your Enthusiasm."

Hines stayed mum about the wheels she'll be walking alongside, but revealed she plans to wear a beaded Collette Dinnigan gown. And she genially posed like a "Price Is Right" model with the cars in the lobby of the design center.

CariDee English, winner of the CW's "America's Next Top Model," did some preening for the cameras, draping herself across the hood of 2006 Camaro coupe concept and clunking it slightly with her skull-and-pearls necklace. "Ooh! Wasn't me!" she said.

English also raised the possibility that singer Nick Lachey may attend the event. His appearance has not been confirmed.

Other famous faces like surfer Laird Hamilton and model and former pro volleyball player Gabrielle Reese were on hand to meet with show-biz stylist Rachel Zoe, who's overseeing the pairing of the fashions with the stars and cars.

Inside GM's color and trim studio, Zoe and her team had assembled an Imelda Marcos-sized collection of shoes and numerous racks of designer clothes.

"I don't want it to be predictable," said Zoe, clad in a zig-zag patterned sweater, black leggings and Kiss-worthy boots by Balenciaga. "I just want it to be super glamorous."

Contact JULIE HINDS at 313-222-6427 or jhinds@freepress.com.
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote