View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #38
FTI-EDC
The stick man

Drives: 2004 GTO - C5 'vert - SRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony @ LG Motorsports View Post
I'm going to say 2" is to big as well.....and this is why.

Now we have done testing on Camaro's and Corvette's now and building our own headers for these cars for a long long time now.

From what we have seen on the LS2/LS3 cars in some cases a 1 3/4" would be better, but for the most part with the Camaro the 1 7/8" just due to the design of the header really didn't hurt anything. However going to a 2" did. Of course some of this plays into the full setup of the car and what you are going to do with it.

Someone said earlier that the 2" header made more PEAK HP, and it might. As for it over laying the bottom 3/4" of the RPM curve, I do not see that, nor I have I seen that on our own testing or testing of other companies headers. There was way to much of a drop in low and mid RPM hp to even consider doing that large of a header.

Remember we are working with less than 400 cubic inches and under 6500 RPM here. If it was a 9000 RPM engine...maybe. For example our 2003 Corvette TransAm series car used a 5.0L small block that would turn 8500-8800 RPM, and it used a big primary header on it, but the car didn't really even come alive until 4700-5000 RPM. Heads, intake, and camshaft were all built around this. So it is more than just the header, it is everything all wrapped into one, total package here.

With that being said, so far the 1 7/8" has proven the best setup for the car to date and we have stock displacement engines making over 560 rwhp using them. We will be working on a larger set for big cube engines and high boost applications.

Come on Anthony - What does "real world" racing results have to do with the internet?

Ed

PONY WARS

FTI-EDC is offline   Reply With Quote