View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #46
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berean View Post
I don't disagree with that assessment but my point wasn't toward the live rear axle but toward the "options" within what they are already offering on Camaro's, i.e. I want an LS with a 6.2 engine. (In other words a 1SS with "delete options". That requires nothing more than some special oversight on the assembly line, sort of like the old COPO Camaro's. If that costs a little extra on an individual basis and customers are willing to pay for it, why would GM say "Sorry, we can't make everyone happy."

Maybe I want a leather steering wheel without the C&C package etc. Why can't they do that for a price? They can. They just don't want to.

And yes, +1 for zombie threads.
Dude; read my post above. They CAN'T do things like "they used to" because the times have changed as to what and how things are required to be done BY LAW. They're struggling back from a bankruptcy.

It's now up to 3rd parties to do the kind of customization you want because the manufacturers simply can't afford all the costs of complying with the regulation certifications requirements for every variation you think you want. Putting a different motor in it requires crash and safety testing and emissions certifications for that motor in that car and all that is bloody expensive!! THEY WENT BANKRUPT!!! They HAVE to be more conservative now; that's just the way it is. Be thankful (I know I sure am) that they were able to even build the Camaro we have at all!

You want a different steering wheel? Customize it yourself; to a lot of people that's half the fun of owning cars like this. Being able to customize it so it's "your car" is a great American tradition and in that regard, at least doing that is still a lot like "the old days". The manufacturers can't do things like they used to not because they don't want to but because the laws and requlations don't allow it anymore.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM