View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #44
Berean

Drives: Truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by wylde1 View Post
I see the point your trying to make there... but we're not talking about a $3 big mac here. and there is no design work to remove fries from the package or extra tooling involved.

to re-engineer and stock all the parts to have something like a solid rear axle option.... your talking tens of millions of dollars alone. then factor in the extra space in a shop it takes to store these parts, how much longer it will take to build each car if they had so many options "the way you like it". now your talking HUNDREDS of millions. which would be spread out over the range to re-coup those costs making everyones cars more expensive. It's a MUCH better business decision to build a car that makes MOST people happy, and let the ones who aren't happy spend their own money to make it what they want. You can't have a custom car from an assembly line, that company would be out of business in a heartbeat.

gotta love zombie threads!

I don't disagree with that assessment but my point wasn't toward the live rear axle but toward the "options" within what they are already offering on Camaro's, i.e. I want an LS with a 6.2 engine. (In other words a 1SS with "delete options". That requires nothing more than some special oversight on the assembly line, sort of like the old COPO Camaro's. If that costs a little extra on an individual basis and customers are willing to pay for it, why would GM say "Sorry, we can't make everyone happy."

Maybe I want a leather steering wheel without the C&C package etc. Why can't they do that for a price? They can. They just don't want to.

And yes, +1 for zombie threads.