View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 07:35 PM   #42
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerF View Post
I'm ex-Navy and there are several computer systems that had bulbs in them that were very expensive and had a horrible lifespan. So the Navy finally got thier crap together and went out to get an LED replacements.

US Navy warships are NOT ideal conditions, by any means. And the same bulbs (387 bulbs for any other squids who may see this!) we were replacing on a monthly (or worse) basis were going for months and years without replacement.

And yes, an actual single replacement LED bulb will not be much more than $4.00. The big money will be in the circuitry/transformer/whatever they use to power them.

Not sure how you are having issues like that man, but I'm an electrical engineer and am around electronics all day long...you shouldn't be going through LED's like that unless they are being overdriven like mad (too much current/heat). You have a problem with a power supply in your boards?
It's not like they are going bad every day, but over the last twenty years I have seen plenty of failures in my gear and plenty of other peoples gear. If the durability is good and the costs are as reasonable as you claim, then I don't see a problem. My experience has been different than that, maybe led manufacturers have gotten it together these days and offer a better product than what I have dealt with.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote