View Single Post
Old 05-17-2024, 01:37 PM   #2064
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
I can assure you that nothing called Silverado, Sierra, Tahoe, Yukon, or Escalade is above the red line. That’s why Trailblazer, Equinox, Terrain, Encore GX are important. They are the ones above the red line that make it possible to sell the stuff that’s below the red line.

Reflecting on what I wrote above, since GM (and Ford and Stellantis) have limitations on how many vehicles they can invest in and bring to market at any particular time, they tend to lean more towards those that help balance the CAFE for the money makers in the portfolio. So, given the choice of keeping an Impala in the portfolio or bringing in a Traverse, Traverse wins every time. Cruze or Trailblazer? Trailblazer wins because it helps balance the Truck CAFE.
That all makes sense.

Part of what I'm saying, even with GM's relatively few models it offers these days, and the ones it offers above the line, because of reasons, it seems to have lots its youthful, athletic edge which seemed to appeal to a very wide range of buyers. So much of GM design language just screams frumpy--and I don't think it has to be. That's been a disappointing headwind with GM for a long time now, and it wasn't always that way.

I hope GM does well with the new Equinox because I think the refresh is stunning. It's still a boring car underneath, but so was a Beretta GT, or a Cavalier Z24.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote