View Single Post
Old 04-27-2024, 07:52 PM   #1988
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post

I get this. In fact in a lot of ways I am this. Love the sound of my Camaro. Love the tossability of my MR2. Love rowing the gears in the MR2. But I also really enjoy driving the Tesla. It has character in a lot of ways that the Camaro and the MR2 don’t have and of course the reverse is also true. In my experience, almost all of the people who maintain that “EVs are soulless appliances that take all the excitement out of driving” have never actually driven an EV and are typically proud of that fact. More power to them. Love what you like. But I do get bored with people who’ve never driven an EV telling everyone how horrible they are. Just as I get bored with some in the EV crowd who opine that anything with a tailpipe is a toy of demon spawn. Just to be clear speedyink1, I am not accusing you of same, I’m just on a roll

I’m still at buy and drive what makes you feel good and let everyone else do the same.
I've driven a Tesla. 2024 Model Y Long Range. It had torque and drove pretty well. But at full tilt it basically accelerated similarly to my Supra from 40-70 mph or so (I think the Supra would take it at higher speeds). People get enamored by the instant torque and think they accelerate like a supercar. My friend actually said he can finally hang with my ZL1 now (in good air at 2,700' elevation my ZL1 is a high 7 sec 60-130 car). The Y LR had decent acceleration but not mind blowing. I got out of it disliking it more than before I drove it. The interior is so minimalist it's uninteresting and utterly boring. The proportions of the exterior don't look right from pretty much any angle with the front in view (same goes for the Model 3 and X). The "tech" touted (updates, etc.) are mostly basically items that ICE cars could have done as well, minus any power updates due to better battery heat mgmt.

I've also ridden in numerous Model 3s and even a Model S Plaid, and Mach-e. Doesn't change my mind that all they have is instant torque. The Plaid is very quick, of course, but still under-braked and other than hp, uninteresting to me. At least the Model S is a good-looking car.

I'm not completely anti EV, they have their place I guess, I'm anti traditional ICE manufacturers swapping entirely to EVs and stopping developing interesting ICEs (mainly) for sports cars.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Last edited by Idaho2018GTPremium; 04-27-2024 at 09:54 PM.
Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote