View Single Post
Old 03-15-2024, 09:21 PM   #40
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLElvira View Post
I cannot see using the M1 0w-40 oils and having any success to remedy problems they create. Specific issues with low speed pre-ignition is common with these products due to the high calcium they contain. Additionally, neither formulation of the M1 0w-40 oils contain any significant amounts of Moly or Boron to help with the added stresses when boost is applied to the dome of the piston and rings. Contamination of the oil by fueling and combustion lead to significant breakdown of the friction package.

I recently changed my oil just to test the theory behind these low-drag, low viscosity full-synthetic offerings for a road trip from South Carolina to Miami and back. The results were virtually identical MPGs for cruise but the dramatic drop in cruise oil pressure below 50psi was substantial. The only time pressures exceeded 50psi was while accelerating. The oil temps during cruise, 70-85mph were consistently above 212 degrees which is a 22 degree rise from the typical temps using Amsoil 15w-50 while driving in the same conditions.

Another issue which showed with this oil is the triggering of a CEL code for low-speed knock. Each occurrence happened at throttle transitions below 30% throttle, while accelerating around a car to switch from left to right lane and back in SPORT mode. I have now run 1600 miles with this oil and will be changing it tomorrow, going back to the Amsoil Signature 0w-40 for the street and there is no viable substitute for the racing 15w-50 protection.

Here is the link to the 0w-40
https://www.amsoil.com/p/amsoil-sign...motor-oil-azf/

Link for the Racing 15w-50
https://www.amsoil.com/p/dominator-1...cing-oil-rd50/
Interesting stat on the fuel economy. Agree.