View Single Post
Old 02-16-2024, 08:43 AM   #185
Nataphen

Drives: None
Why The ZL1 is better than an EV

And let’s be honest, for the average person who isn’t an enthusiast or towing long distances, we’re running out of reasons not to use EVs. As grids get cleaner, EV benefits for the environment increase. Currently we’re at ~50% clean energy in the US and ~85% in Canada. Even when you factor in mining and production and extra tire wear, most cases would require an EV to charge on only coal for its entire life to actually be worse than or equal to a similar ICE vehicle in regards to environmental impact. Oil and gasoline production have a carbon footprint too, and that has to be done for the entire life of the ICE car, not just for production.

In extreme cold, EVs on average lose 30% range now. That’s still 190 miles of range at the current range average, more than enough for typical daily use. Air pollution is localized to fossil fuel factories with EVs, so that benefits areas with high population densities greatly. We all know how bad the air quality can be in bigger cities. It also makes things like carbon capture technologies much more feasible since it can target the source of emissions so much more effectively.

If you look at the studies of projected grid expansion and private solar/wind adoption compared to the rate of EV changeover, it looks like we’re going to be in a very comfortable position to handle the extra power demand as the expected market share increases. It sucks to lose cool ICE vehicles, I’m right there with those of that mindset. I love my ZL1 and plan to keep it for as long as I possibly can. I bought a manual because it sucks to lose manuals too, even though I know the A10 is faster and is a really good transmission. I do believe we have to make a shift to cleaner transportation though, and as long as they tighten up the charging speeds and networks, continue to improve affordability and cold weather performance, and figure out the long range towing issues, there’s really not much more than sentiment left. I believe those things will be figured out fairly soon considering the massive improvements we’ve seen already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Nataphen; 02-16-2024 at 10:59 AM.
Nataphen is offline   Reply With Quote