View Single Post
Old 01-20-2024, 11:42 AM   #1577
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
Notwithstanding the name, I don’t think anyone, even you, believes that its main purpose was to reduce inflation. The whole thing is over reaching, manipulating the marketplace, and was given to the public under false pretenses. You'll have a hard time rationalizing how massive spending and increasing the money supply helps control inflation, while leaving out the fact interest rates were raised by over 3X. So, I guess we'll see eggs around $1/dozen again, thanks to federal EV graft?
Have you actually read the entire Inflation Reduction Act? I have. I have to because as an automotive consultant I have to be able to explain to my clients what it is, how it works, and how it can impact their product strategies. I have clients that have changed where they intend to produce EVs that they will sell in the US to move production to North America in order to qualify for the incentive. Sam for battery manufacturers. That’s jobs for the workers that will be employed in the US, Canada and Mexico. Jobs help reduce inflation.

I have clients who are actively working deals to change where they get the minerals to make the batteries that go into their EVs so that they can qualify. This means lower reliance on China for minerals and less reliance on cobalt and manganese that are in many places (but not all) mined with child labor.

On other fronts, the IRA has reduced the price of insulin from several hundred dollars a month to a cap of $35 a month for people whose lives depend on it. I’m pretty sure most of us know somebody who uses insulin, because diabetes is a silent epidemic in this country. That’s a huge change in available spending power for people so afflicted.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote