View Single Post
Old 01-19-2024, 08:06 PM   #1569
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS1LE View Post
It’s interesting that I haven’t seen you post anything that mistakenly reflects poorly on EVs. All your mistakes fall in the same direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
It’s out there. You may not have seen it or you may have attributed it to someone else. There is bound to be more from me that is PRO-EV than ANTI-EV because in all honesty, most of the “factual issues” come from the “I hate EVs” crowd and so much of it is full of false information that it keeps me really busy. I’ll post a list of problems I have with EVs in a minute.
Alright, here we go…

What I don’t like about EVs [Product]:
  • Some feel the need to fix what ain’t broke, seemingly just to be different for the sake of being different. Example…Tesla has recently removed turnstalks on some models, replacing them with turn signal buttons on the steering wheel. Dumb.
  • In order to design for lowest production cost, many of them ignore serviceability of some major subsystems. Gigacastings. Repair costs will be ridiculous.
  • Cost to replace the battery in the event of damage in an accident. Tesla in particular has made servicing their batteries at a cell level impossible. If the vehicle is in a collision and the battery box is breached, the whole thing needs to be replaced. Sure, insurance will cover it. But they might total out the car and then your rates go even higher.
  • They tend to be heavy.
  • Some of the really quirky designs.
  • Some of the manufacturers cheaping out on interior to offset cost of batteries.
  • Haven’t seen an affordable, sporty looking, high performing model yet. A number of “2 outta 3” examples but not a 3 outta 3. Model 3 Performance is affordable and high performing, but it looks like a family sedan. So did the Chevrolet SS. The Porsche Taycan and Lotus Evija both look sporty and are high performing but not my idea of affordable. I could go on and on with examples. An EV Camaro could sort all that out.

What I don’t like about EVs [Transition]
  • CARB ZEV Mandate. If you were to look at my posts from a year ago, maybe a year and a half, I was saying that the 2035 CARB ZEV Mandate was an Executive Order, not law, because the California governor cannot make law. Only the Legislature can make law. So I doubted it would happen. Then it did. Guess I was wrong. Still, it’s not effective until 11 years from now and can change by then. There have been several CARB ZEV Mandates dating back to the ‘90s. And they’ve all changed over time.
  • EV manufacturers exaggerating performance and range claims, then backing off when the vehicle finally comes to market.
  • Lack of overnight charging options for people in multi-family housing. It’s the primary reason for me recommending NOT buying an EV to a lot of people that ask what EV would be best for them. If you don’t have a garage or at least a driveway where you can install a charger, you probably shouldn’t buy an EV.

What’s NOT on my list and why
  • Range anxiety: After owning Chevrolet Volts since 2012 I know that my family’s driving habits won’t come anywhere near draining the battery on any given day. The 260 mile range (80% charge) in our Model Y can last about a week even if we don’t plug in for several days.
  • Cold weather performance. Again, Volt. Summer the EV range was 53 miles. Almost never triggered the gas engine. Winter it was down to 38 miles, so I know to expect less range. If 260 miles translates to 170 in cold weather it is still more than sufficient.
  • Fear of battery replacement cost (age). 8-year warranty is long enough to cover it for me. By the time I need to replace the battery out of pocket, if ever, costs will be on par with an engine / transmission replacement.
  • Price. If something is priced out of my range I don’t buy it. I’d love to have a Porsche Taycan or Lucid Air or a C8 Z06 convertible. All priced beyond what I’d pay for them. Nexxxt.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote