View Single Post
Old 12-07-2023, 08:25 PM   #21
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSnake1972 View Post
You all can thank Marry Barra for lackluster sales of the camaro buy not advertising and for not upgrading it's power and performance like the afore mentioned challenger and mustang. Blame it on what you will, girl cooties, girls don't like to drive big powerful cars, or they just don't understand them. Either way it's all her fault. Make me your leader and I will restore order !
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
Ford and Chevy took different design philosophies. The Mustang was designed first and foremost for DD practicality and comfort (presumably first and foremost targeting sales of GT and lower moddels). Deficiencies in performance (of which there were plenty) and reliability (plat plane crank V8) provided "opportunities" to introduce revised models and 1-off special versions with small improvements, along with the requisite body panel changes to make it look like a somewhat new offering (albeit on pretty much the same chassis since 2015).

With the G6 Camaro, GM prioritized performance form the get go and (unfortunately) at the cost of practicality. When it came time to offer improvements they could and did go more extreme (1LE offerings, ZL1 powerplant), but after that there was nowhere to go with it. Couldn't really improve performance at the price point (they were already knocking it out of the park compared to the competition) and couldn't address the DD practicality issues as would have required a totally new chassis.

I'm not sad about how things turned out, because I love my SS 1LE and use it mainly as a track car. The fact that production is stopping doesn't change how awesome my car still is, and the fact that it took Ford 6-7 years just to tie the lap times of the SS 1LE (albeit by using wider, stickier tires) shows just how good it is.
The Camaro vpchassis is the same as the Cadillac ATS/CTS. ATS coupe had a bigger trunk and more rear seat leg room than Camaro. The chassis had DD comfort and practicality. The Camaro execution off of that architecture took a different DP direction but the bones were there. Now as far as ATS/CTS sales………..