View Single Post
Old 11-13-2023, 11:48 AM   #1313

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Remember when the refrain was “Tesla loses <fill in the blanks> thousand dollars on every EV they sell. The only thing keeping them afloat is all the credit money they get fro the other automakers”?

Now you can replace that with “Tesla makes so much money one every car they sell that they can afford to drop the prize on their top models by $40,000 and still make a profit on every one of them.” The fact that they made such rapid price reductions sucks fo true buyers who bought just before the reductions.

Last week I bought a Tesla Model Y Long Range with options for $52k. Last year a similar spec vehicle cost those buyers $68,000. Sucks for them, rocks for me. If they drop it another $5k in the near future I’d have no issue with it. When I bought it it was worth (to me) more than what I paid for it. If they raise the prices in the near future I’ll be relieved that I got in when I did.
You've made an excellent point which speaks to "affordability". Rather than always comparing EVs to the price of ICE vehicles to make an affordability argument, the car buying public knows that EVs should be dramatically less expensive than what they are now.

Tesla lowering their price speaks volumes as to the over priced EVs currently for sale. No matter if EVs match or beat ICE cars in the low price range, the truth is they should be much, much lower even still and thus more "affordable".
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote