View Single Post
Old 11-13-2023, 11:40 AM   #1312
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
What's the ROI on $40,000 worth of gas savings?

https://jalopnik.com/if-you-bought-a...uch-1851011677
Remember when the refrain was “Tesla loses <fill in the blanks> thousand dollars on every EV they sell. The only thing keeping them afloat is all the credit money they get from the other automakers”?

Now you can replace that with “Tesla makes so much money on every car they sell that they can afford to drop the prize on their top models by $40,000 and still make a profit on every one of them.” Sounds like they learned how to build cars at a really efficient scale, reducing their costs to the point that they can price them as aggressively as they choose to. The fact that they made such rapid price reductions sucks for the buyers who bought just before the reductions.

Last week I bought a Tesla Model Y Long Range with options for $52k. Last year a similar spec vehicle cost those buyers $68,000. Sucks for them, rocks for me. If they drop it another $5k in the near future I’d have no issue with it. When I bought it it was worth (to me) more than what I paid for it. If they raise the prices in the near future I’ll be relieved that I got in when I did.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote