View Single Post
Old 09-10-2023, 10:51 AM   #8864
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
FWIW I have a 2017 Impala and as I recall at the time looking into the details, it is an Epsilon II platform, which was previously mainly used by Cadillac, but not for several years. I figured if it was good enough for Caddies, I'll take it for my Impala.

I never saw any of those other platform names mentioned at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
I would say it was the opposite way.....

Epsilon started its life as a mainstream platform for the Malibu, G6, Aura, etc. Epsilon II may have spawned a LWB version to replace the vehicles on the W-Body( Impala, LaCrosse) and G-Body( DTS), but I wouldn't classify Epsilon as a premium platform brought down to use for Chevy.

Now Alpha platform is one I would classify as that. Alpha platform was meant for Cadillac's use from the beginning. It's an expensive platform. The Camaro was then put on it as a way to spread the costs and why Camaro had a price disadvantage over Mustang and Challenger due to the pricey nature of the Alpha platform.
Epsilon II is basically Global Epsilon which is the original European Epsilon platform tweaked to meet US needs. Epsilon 2 is the later upgrade to Global Epsilon / Epsilon II.

By the time Epsilon came along, there was already a focused move to shift Cadillac cars to RWD. The closest thing to Epsilon in the Cadillac portfolio (other than XTS) was SRX. It was built on what was called TE platform (Theta-Epsilon). Theta is the original Equinox / Pontiac Torrent platform. Before Pontiac was dropped and Equinox switched to Global Delta platform with GMC Terrain replacing Torrent.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote