View Single Post
Old 10-05-2021, 10:38 PM   #85
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSSStlfan View Post
Well Tim Allen and even Jay Leno know more about American cars, tastes, mechanical, and performance cars than Mary.

Mary is a bean counter. Mainly worked on the assembly line and HR and management. Her degree is in electrical engineering, hence likely why she's wanting to pimp EV so bad.

A lot of these executives are simply out of touch.

A guy at my part time job just bought a Tesla. He's b*tching because there is no charging states for over 30 miles and has to use the slow home charger.

I'd hate to see Mary having a serious say in what an EV Camaro should look like. These divisions need enthusiasts designing and consulting in the development.

Classic example is the modern GTO. Pontiac bastarized that Cavalier look a like and it wasn't popular.
But then there is Toyota... Which basically didn't really make anything exciting on their own(so we are not counting 86 or Supra) in the last 20 years until recently with Yaris GR, which folks in North America can't have without a lot of effort. Yet they are the biggest automotive company in the world.

Even sports cars and supercar brands like Porsche and Lambo have to make SUVs. Something's gotta keep the lights on. Otherwise, you end up like Lotus and McLaren, always struggling to stay afloat.

(Speaking of Porsche, did you know that 718 will be electric in 4 years? GM isn't alone in this, and 718 is basically what Camaro is to Corvette to 911.)

So you need the bean counters, you just need some passionate people to cancel it out.

I get that people are doubting if GM's "all eggs in one basket" approach is gonna work - Toyota for sure have their doubts - but also remember that there is a reason why people say that if car companies are run by enthusiasts, they'd be out of business in a couple of years.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote