View Single Post
Old 12-23-2020, 05:09 PM   #7408
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
I'm truly against subsidized vehicle sales...what a disgrace.

Either way, agreed with this post, even though EV won't work well in my scenario. I'm still on Gordon Murray's outlook that as time progresses, so will the switch to Hydrogen with EVs being a stepping stone. From there, it's plausible that petrol ICE will die, and only EV and Hydrogen fuel cell will remain.

The argument against Hydrogen delivery infrastructure seems silly to me. There are plenty of places to get propane across NA - while the tanks wouldn't be useful, the sites already exist, many among gas stations.

Here is some valuable reading for those who think hydrogen is a bomb:

https://hydrogen.wsu.edu/2017/03/17/...hydrogen-fuel/

EDIT: Level 1 charging also won't work in my scenario. It's 20 miles in a single direction to the nearest town. Yes I love the country, and no I won't ever move into a city, lol.
One of my consulting projects now is on how to deliver hydrogen from where it is formulated to where it will be delivered to the vehicle. Leading prospects include diesel powered tankers. Wish I was joking...can’t say more without potentially violating NDA. Nowhere near as simple as transporting propane. Cost for a distribution location (equivalent to a gas station or Tesla Supercharger location) is in the $2M range per location. Nothing simple about this. That’s why it ain’t here yet.

Hydrogen fuel cells have two advantages over BEV, and one of them is going away fast. Refuel time is on par with gasoline. That’s an advantage for now, but time required to recharge BEVs is getting lower and lower with each generation of battery tech development. The Mustang Mach E can deliver 60 miles of range in 10 minutes. Compared to a Level 1 charger that needs 10 hours to fully charge from empty. Now keep in mind that a typical BEV owner will rarely use a publicly available DC Fast Charger because they will start each morning with a full charge with more than 200 miles range. That will get most drivers through entire week, let alone a day. And for those for whom that is insufficient, there’s still ICE.

The other advantage is fuel cell vehicles tend to be less load sensitive than BEVs. Which makes it great for freight hauling and highway driving, while BEVs are better for light loads and urban / suburban duty cycles. In effect, FCEV is the “diesel” to BEV “gas”.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote