View Single Post
Old 12-23-2020, 03:02 PM   #7407
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Good points. In some areas of the US, power companies do provide incentives to install Level 2 chargers (irrespective of income) and some provide assistance (based on income ) to upgrade electrical circuits to accept the Level 2 charger, but those are few and far between. Since there will be ICE products available, that will essentially be a non-issue. Can’t or don’t want to pay for a circuit upgrade? Don’t. Get an ICE vehicle.

There is no doubt that the current population of BEV owners is skewed heavily to the higher end of the income curve. That’s true simply because of the range of product available on the market. As more “affordable” BEVs come to market, the curve will bend more towards normal. The Mustang Mach E and the Volkswagen ID.4 will be the first in that category to come to market soon. The Chevrolet Bolt EV is already in market and reasonably priced, but it has two strikes against it. For one, GM vehicles no longer qualify for the $7,500 tax credit, and two, its form factor (small B-Segment hatchback) is one that has never played well in the US market. VW ID.4 is a compact utility and will qualify for the tax credit, as will the Mustang Mach E. Those are the ones to watch in terms of demographics.
I'm truly against subsidized vehicle sales...what a disgrace.

Either way, agreed with this post, even though EV won't work well in my scenario. I'm still on Gordon Murray's outlook that as time progresses, so will the switch to Hydrogen with EVs being a stepping stone. From there, it's plausible that petrol ICE will die, and only EV and Hydrogen fuel cell will remain.

The argument against Hydrogen delivery infrastructure seems silly to me. There are plenty of places to get propane across NA - while the tanks wouldn't be useful, the sites already exist, many among gas stations.

Here is some valuable reading for those who think hydrogen is a bomb:

https://hydrogen.wsu.edu/2017/03/17/...hydrogen-fuel/

EDIT: Level 1 charging also won't work in my scenario. It's 20 miles in a single direction to the nearest town. Yes I love the country, and no I won't ever move into a city, lol.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote