View Single Post
Old 12-23-2020, 10:38 AM   #7401
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Just to throw it out there, I sort of recall that hydrogen option, a great idea for stopping pollution, is super-expensive to produce. The amount of electricity needed to make hydrogen fuel, or whatever it is, for cars is enormous and costly. Even the Germans gave up on hydrogen years ago. They can build a hydrogen car, but they could never be mass produced. Electricity needed for any realistic production numbers would outstrip what the plants that make hydrogen could ever get their hands on....Maybe all not true...just sayin'.

P.S. Also you would likely never be able re-fill hydrogen at home, like you could plug in an EV at home. Probably more "infrastructure" in place already for EV than hydrogen would ever have.
I do agree that the cost of building and deploying hydrogen refueling stations is the biggest lock on the door for now, but I will disagree that German manufacturers have given up on it. They are still in development on FCEV products. So are GM and Honda together, Toyota, and Hyundai-Kia. Thing is, projected launch dates of volume passenger car fleets (beyond the super low-volume, lease by permission only Mirai, Clarity, and Hyundai Nexo) continues to slip and slip and slip.

In the EU, the Zero Emissions requirements are driving automakers to focus on the only two zero emissions paths, BEV, and FCEV. There is also some government funding being waved around as incentive for building a hydrogen infrastructure, though I’ve yet to see any evidence of shovels in the ground. Not saying there hasn’t been, just that I haven’t seen it and I do look for it, since that’s part of my job.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Last edited by Martinjlm; 12-23-2020 at 12:02 PM.
Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote