View Single Post
Old 09-27-2020, 06:56 PM   #15
SuperChuck

Drives: 2013 1SS BlueRay Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
First off, welcome to the forums!

For a DD car I'd suggest staying with a stage 2 or below cam from the major cam builders. Depending on the manufacturer will depend on how big you can go with the cam. For example a TSP stage 2 cam is nearly identical to a BTR stage 3 cam. So you might have to do a TSP stage 1 cam to stay with a stock converter where you can get away with a BTR stage 2 cam.

An additional thing you'll need to consider is if you want to keep or ditch VVT. The benefit of VVT is you'll have more torque and a flatter torque curve. However, you'll lose top end hp. The thing is the difference isn't staggering, it's about 10 rwtq and 10 rwhp between the two for a NA setup VVT to non VVT counterpart. Whatever you do, be sure to delete AFM/DOD. There's some cams for people who really want to keep it, but you'll sacrifice power and be keeping the biggest weak link for the L99 and adding more stress on it, the AFM lifters.

Personally I'm running a BTR stage 2 NA LS3 cam. I opted to delete the VVT with the AFM/DOD and do a LS3 conversion. My reason was 2 reputable tuners strongly recommended deleting VVT because the power wasn't worth the added potential failure of the extra moving pieces. I still have a stock converter, which most will argue I'm leaving performance on the table, but the car drives great with how it's setup.

Also, Brian Tooley Racing, Texas Speed, and GPI are three of the most popular cam manufacturers.

Good luck in your search and happy modding!

Do you have any audio on yours? I'm having the same cam installed. BTR headers with Flows super 44's cat and res delete. Can't wait to hear it.
SuperChuck is offline   Reply With Quote