View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 01:04 PM   #5777
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
New Silverado/Sierra 2.7 I4 to get up to 20mpg city and 23 mpg highway.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/10/10/...-fuel-economy/

So, that city number looks pretty good, but that highway number looks horrid. Can that be correct? Heck, the 2.7 V6 in the F150 is rated at 26 hwy and has considerably more power. Yeah, I know the 2.7 in the GM trucks is the competitor to the other brand's base V6 (non-turbo) models, and in terms of power, it wins, but isn't really as impressive as I think it could have been with highway mpg.

I guess it just has to be in boost too much to move that big truck down the road.

Now I'm starting to wonder if they were to use the 2.7 in the midsize trucks like I kind of thought they might, can it do any better on mpg than the current V6 with its cylinder deactivation? Maybe not. If not, they won't use it.
I'm not sure whats going on. If it was just because they cranked the boost up, the Ford would be just as bad, or worse -not better.

Its weird because the city mileage is about as good as you'd expect. Maybe the highway numbers take a dive because the Chevy isn't as aerodynamic as the Ford is? Or possibly in the throttle/transmission tuning where Ford optimized for the EPA testing while GM tuned things more for the real world? I know Ford has aggressively chased big numbers with EcoBoast before, but its not like GM hasn't tuned their trucks for better theoretical mileage at the expense of driveability before either.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote