View Single Post
Old 09-03-2018, 02:35 PM   #1
hzycamaro

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
First time to turn off traction control

I'm a beginner on track driving and this weekend I had my 8th track day. I turned off traction control for the first time and it's actually mainly because of the track.

I was running at Streets of Willow. This is a low speed track with lots of sharp turns and elevation changes. My friends and I think this track is a bit like autocross. I've always kept traction control on because I'm worried I'll lose control

But at this track, traction control kicked in at almost every corner on the way out and it's really frustrating that nothing happens after I step on the gas and all of a sudden it starts to pull (when traction control thinks it's ok)

Then I decided to turn it off. My car doesn't have PTM so I just enabled "competition mode", which I believe is traction control off and stability control on. To my surprise, it felt great. With careful modulation on the gas pedal, most of the time I can get on gas earlier and the response is more expected. The rear end lost traction and stability control kicked in a few times but it's not hard to recover.

I think I'll try more traction control off driving! I would like to get opinions or comments from you more experienced track drivers.

Thanks!
hzycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote