Old 07-09-2018, 01:58 PM   #46
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krowser View Post
Interesting...

My friends and I do a lot of spirited driving here in Florida where the humidity and heat is quite real. I know the atmosphere in Europe is not the same as Florida; however, I can imagine that South Florida's climate is more punishing for an oil than in Europe. Additionally, I don't think Europe uses 10% ethanol in their fuels.

I know more zinc content offers better metal to metal lubrication and protection; however, it is a bitch for catalytic converters. Perhaps for the catless Camaros, the euro spec would be better with the higher zinc content.
GM knows there's a problem with DI (deposits and consumption) that's why the big emphasis on LOW ASH, if you look at all the ingredients for wear items they have a very high TBN number like 12.0 or higher, Euro oils, Mobile 1s best oil, Amsoil ect... this new ESP oil is emissions safe Why? ( u think about it) the additives for wear are the main ingredients that build up deposits they have taken some metal %s outs.. you can see the Analysis at mobile 1, to confirm. Also down a lot is the TBN it goes hand in hand with additives this ESP is 8.5 which is really low for a good synthetic anti wear oil that can go the distance on long intervals.

Examples of low ash percentage oils

.5 to .8 Mobile 1/ ESP, diesels stuff lie SAPS
less than 1.0% is medium ASH
greater than 1.0% is high ASH

The best protection would be a good catch can system and the highest TBN number around.. GO to the DEXOS page I saw no listing for AMSOIL which people swear by, Red line, and other well know proven oils. I did see Royal Purple which a lot won't use anymore.. So they either won't pay to be on the DEXOS 2 list or it won't pass because not being low ash.

as far as the weight change it's a happy medium between street and race for protection and will cut down on oil consumption.. And if oil is being consumed the low ash will not hurt the emissions system as much!

Nothing new I sit through the boring diesel classes with the manufactures to be certified ever year with all the new tier 4 emissions compliant crap stuff low ash oils nothing new so its easier to clean with the onboard regen systems!

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote