View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 01:54 PM   #38
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
That's part of the problem right there - GM is using respected, historic names on mundane grocery getters.

Your '17 Impala ain't what Brian Wilson had in mind when he wrote "409". No one writes songs about a 3.6 V6, front wheel drive, and anti-lock brakes.

That '63 Impala SS still sounds sexy 50 years later: a 4 speed, dual quad, posi-traction 409.
Most Impalas ever built were used as mundane family vehicles. That was true in the 50s, the 60s, the 70s, the 80s, the 00s, and its true today. Thats what makes the Super Sports ... well, super. Because they weren't your every day boring mundane grocery getting Impala with a straight six or small under powered V8.

In 1965, if there had never been an Impala SS, Chevrolet would still probably have sold a million Impalas because boring grocery getters make way more sense to 99.9% of the population.

Its fine to think of old muscle cars as cool. But the real legacy lies with the regular versions. Because the overwhelming majority of people who have ever owned an Impala, from any generation, did not own a cool one.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote