View Single Post
Old 04-18-2018, 04:59 PM   #5146
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimsZ28 View Post
I read it as someone wants to focus on TODAY and capitalize. Yes speed up and roll out product. JDN did not want to give-in at the risk of not making the best product he could. He wanted to stay focused on making sure everything was right before he released something. Not roll out something because marketing said it is time if he knows there are kinks to work out. Hard commodity to find in someone today.
I didn't see it that way at all. GM's corporate culture is about as far from Tesla's (which is basically what you described) as possible. Plus, nothing that I've ever heard of Barra (whose background is in engineering, not marketing) would make me think that she'd want to move the company as a whole, or Cadillac in particular, in that direction.

The way I interpret the blurb Fen posted is that GM wants more crossovers (the thing thats 'in' today) out of Cadillac while Johan wants to build more prestige for the brand (whose payoff is in the future). Presumably he wanted to do that through low volume halo vehicles, like a flagship sedan and/or a sports car.

But there was a secondary thing in there too, about markets. The US market was pointed out as not being capitalized on. Which potentially means that Johan was instead putting too much effort into growing things internationally (likely China).
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote