View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 09:14 PM   #343
djcolopi

Drives: @orange_maro
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
Love it.. v6 with power.

That ‘wingler’ (wing/spoiler, I know drag wing ;o) is something... I see the NACAs there too...

Is the intent to extend past the trunk for more rear downforce— more load on the wheels?

Reminds me of the winged sprint cars we raced years ago...

-Don
Quoted from Dragzine:

'One of the misconceptions about a rear wing for drag racing is that it provides more downforce to keep the tires planted on the track, but that’s not the case until the car is well into the single-digit range of elapsed times. The purpose of the wing for most vehicles is not to provide more downforce, but to direct the airflow over the rear of the car, keeping it more stable in the process.
Racing spoilers like the one we selected have a flat center section that runs straight off the back of the car, rather than in an upward direction, and have a pair of spill plates – one at each end of the flat section – to help gather the air and point it in the right direction. Factory spoilers, on the other hand, do more to disturb the airflow than help it, and upset the vehicle’s stability in the process. The air that’s near the outside edges of a factory spoiler will either shoot up, or shoot out, but you really don’t know because you’re not collecting it.
Gaining the ability to direct the airflow over the rear of the car, rather than letting it flow where it’s trying to go on its own based on the vehicle aerodynamics, is where the stability improvement comes into the picture.“Most people think that they’re going to bolt on a spoiler and go faster, but that’s not the case. You don’t normally see a mile-per-hour change on your time ticket versus having one on and not having one on. What they do see is a more consistent time ticket, because you’re gathering the air coming off the back of the car and directing it where you want it to go. The spill plates stop the air from spilling over the sides of the spoiler. All of these things combine to make the car more stable,” Overdorf explains.'

What I posted up from the article really explains the primary function of the drag type spoiler; direct the airflow over the rear of the car, keeping it more stable in the process and improving consistency.