View Single Post
Old 02-19-2018, 01:55 PM   #9261
Grabber
Just a car guy

Drives: 2016 Durango R/T AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
Hey guys/gals. I was looking for some direction on purchase of a compact/subcompact for the wife. This will be her first gun, and mainly looking to get her into shooting/hobby and having a little fun. Definitely not competitive, but something we can enjoy of occasion at a firing range. She has shot a few of my friends guns, but most of those are full size and a little heavy for her to hold steady. She really wants to get good and enjoy it.

So, I start researching a little and come across a few that won't break the bank and would give her something she can handle for some fun. We both have our CCW permits, but have never found the time to really make that step to get out and enjoy shooting. I think she is really wanting to have some fun with shooting and I want to help her as much as I can. I will someday get me a pistol, as I grew up hunting with many different rifles and such, but never had a sidearm. Anyway, here are a couple I am looking at and looking to see if any of these stand out more than the other, any I should stay away from, or any not on the list that may be more fitting. Price range is up to about $600 in the 9mm.

Sig P226
Springfield XDM Compact
S&W M&P 40c
Taurus PT111 G2
HK P30SK
HK VP9SK
S&W P&P 9c
Sig P320 Subcompact

Not looking for any super detail unless you want to offer, a good thumbs up or down is okay...lol. I trust your guys opinions that do this for sport/work/hobby. Thanks!!
If your budget is $600 or so, there are several guns in that list to take out.

The P226, while being a fine firearm, is usually over $1,000.

The XDM is small, easily concealable. But, due to the size of it, there is significant recoil. I've fired a couple hundred rounds through one and didn't like it.

M&P has a great lineup and the 40C is a good choice. You may also consider and like the M&P Shield or Bodyguard. Well under your $600 price range.

Taurus is one of those that you get what you pay for. I'm not a fan of their products.

The Sig P320 is also another fine firearm, but, usually over $800.

Few other things to consider: visually, these firearms look great. But, until she has fired them, don't get your heart set on one. Get to a range, rent these guns, find something she is complete comfortable with.

I personally CC a Sig P938. It is smaller than my hand, fits in a loose jean pocket or a coat pocket and is accurate up to about 7-10 yards. It is a bit higher than your budget, but, worth it. You can also check out the P238 which is slightly smaller, but, also utilizes a .380 cartridge.

My wife and I prefer .45's and I have an M&P 2.0 .45 and she has a glock 21 Gen 4. Probably have over a thousand rounds fired through each of those guns and have only owned them for about six months. Amazing firearms and they do not break the bank at all.
2014 5.0 - Ported CobraJet Manifold - SCJ Mono-Blade TB - Kooks 1-3/4" LT Headers - Kooks O/R H-pipe - Custom Intake - McLeod clutch line - Borla S-Type Axle Backs - AED Tuned - 443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ - GONE
05 GT - Sold
03 Cobra - Gone (Never Forgotten)
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote