View Single Post
Old 02-19-2018, 11:32 AM   #9257
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
Hey guys/gals. I was looking for some direction on purchase of a compact/subcompact for the wife. This will be her first gun, and mainly looking to get her into shooting/hobby and having a little fun. Definitely not competitive, but something we can enjoy of occasion at a firing range. She has shot a few of my friends guns, but most of those are full size and a little heavy for her to hold steady. She really wants to get good and enjoy it.

So, I start researching a little and come across a few that won't break the bank and would give her something she can handle for some fun. We both have our CCW permits, but have never found the time to really make that step to get out and enjoy shooting. I think she is really wanting to have some fun with shooting and I want to help her as much as I can. I will someday get me a pistol, as I grew up hunting with many different rifles and such, but never had a sidearm. Anyway, here are a couple I am looking at and looking to see if any of these stand out more than the other, any I should stay away from, or any not on the list that may be more fitting. Price range is up to about $600 in the 9mm.

Sig P226
Springfield XDM Compact
S&W M&P 40c
Taurus PT111 G2
HK P30SK
HK VP9SK
S&W P&P 9c
Sig P320 Subcompact

Not looking for any super detail unless you want to offer, a good thumbs up or down is okay...lol. I trust your guys opinions that do this for sport/work/hobby. Thanks!!
Of the ones on your list I have the HK VP, but mine is in a .40 cal so VP40. It is the quality you would expect from H&K, only 4.5 lb trigger pull, very low recoil, and accurate.
Also have the Sig P320SC in .40 cal as well. Nice weapon as well, but not as accurate for me as the H&K. They also have the issue-non-issue of potentially discharging on a drop.
Between those 2 I prefer the H&K, but as expected, it's a little pricier.

Another Sig to consider is the P365 Micro-Compact. This is fairly new. Not sure it's even released yet, but is highly anticipated. Someone else on here might know more about it.

Only other thing is if one of you is left-handed. I am so I prefer a pistol that is ambidextrous, mainly to lock the slide with my left thumb. The VP has the mag release on both sides, where the P320 only on one side, but you can move it to whichever side you prefer.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote