View Single Post
Old 12-23-2017, 12:51 AM   #1
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Camaro ZL1 1LE Arrived with Quality Issues and Dealer Kept my Deposit

I attempted to purchase a 2018 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE from Priority Chevrolet in Chesapeake VA. The car had been previously ordered for dealer stock, but had not yet arrived to the dealership. I gave $1,000 as a good faith deposit for the car, but I wasn’t asked to sign any agreements. I was led to believe the car was “overdue” for delivery, and should be arriving soon. Prior to the deposit I expressed concerns about aluminum oxidation on the car. My concerns continued to increase as time elapsed while waiting for the car to be delivered, and I was very open about those concerns.

About 2 months after production, the car finally arrived. There was no mention of any potential issues with the car. The dealership is located about 8 hours away from my home (~6.5 if not pulling a car trailer), and I made this drive while towing my 2017 ZL1 I intended to trade. Immediately after seeing the car it was obvious the time it had been exposed to the Michigan winter had taken its toll. I politely asked for my deposit to be returned. The dealership not only refused to return my deposit, they immediately became rude and refused to acknowledge any point I was trying to make. They quickly told me that if I wasn’t going to buy the car I needed to leave the property. I tried several times to reason with the manager, but he just kept repeating “we’re keeping the deposit” and “you need to leave the property”. So, I started my 8 hour journey back home.

I have every phone conversation recorded (perfectly legal in WV and VA). I plan to post them at some point, but I haven't had time to redact credit card #s, etc. from the conversations.

This is a recording I captured the following day while speaking with the sales manager, Shaun House.

Here is a document I am compiling to turn over to an attorney. Normally I wouldn't post this, but this issue is so cut and dry the dealership literally has zero chance of keeping the deposit. In VA, if it's for more than $500, it pretty much has to be in writing and signed. There are few exceptions, but none apply here. We have nothing in writing, so none of details about the car's condition even matter.

CorrespondenceLog.pdf (At least take a peek at the document.)

Name:  2018-CamaroZL11LE.small.jpg
Views: 4722
Size:  192.4 KB

These pictures are comparing the "brand new" 2018 ZL1 1LE to my 1 year old ZL1. (I absolutely did not retouch either photo, both are exactly as they were taken. I even purposely left the dust on my car to show that I didn't attempt to clean it in any way.)

Name:  Comparison.jpg
Views: 4424
Size:  400.2 KB

Oh, and don't worry, I'll get my deposit back. I have a dispute filed with my CC. I can't see how that won't work out considering I didn't sign anything. If that doesn't work, I'll hire an attorney. I don't care what it cost me. These sleazeballs aren't getting a dime of my money.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)

Last edited by travislambert; 12-30-2017 at 09:15 PM.
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote