CAMARO6

CAMARO6 (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php)
-   2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Too soon to talk about the 7th gen? (https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527785)

fbodyauto 05-01-2018 11:13 PM

Too soon to talk about the 7th gen?

I know, I know, the 2019 refresh was just unveiled (and hasn't even hit the lots yet) but being a 6th gen owner (2016 SS) I was just curious, do you think the 2019 refresh will last as long as the 5th gen refresh before an entirely new generation comes out?

Reason I am curious is because for a couple years I have been thinking of upgrading to a 2SS and with the recent refresh, I am going to hold off a little longer. That said, looking at the 5th gen, the refresh only lasted 2 years before the now 2016 6th gen came out. Do you think GM would follow the same timeline OR are do you think they will keep the 6th gen around a little longer?

Below I broke down the timeline of the 5th gen, and the current timeline of the 6th, to make it easier:

5th Gen
  • 2012 (very minor interior refresh)
  • 2014 - Refresh

6th Gen
  • 2019 - Refresh

Looking above, the 5th gen lastest 6 years and the 6th gen is going on it's 4th year with this refresh (a year sooner than previously done). I am guessing the 2021 might be the last of the 6th gen, at MOST, topping out the generation with 6 production years.

I know this is WAY too soon but just curious to hear your thoughts?

IMadeYouReadThis 05-02-2018 01:29 AM

Seems about right to me.

red_johnny 05-02-2018 02:14 AM

Seems like 2021 is a reasonable year for a new model. Not sure how they will play it. I wonder if they will stick to the Alpha platform?

RealG 05-02-2018 02:30 AM

If it is 2021 then they would actually be designing it now and that’s kind of scary because the current designers haven’t been doing such great job recently. Gas prices are going up again and sales are down. I don’t know the Camaro might have to change a lot if it’s still around.

MrChrisLS3 05-02-2018 02:51 AM

Well, if the Corvette goes mid engine completely by 2021-22, then the Camaro might come out as Chevy's new 2 seat front engine sports car.

JohnCobalt 05-02-2018 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 (Post 10170040)
Well, if the Corvette goes mid engine completely by 2021-22, then the Camaro might come out as Chevy's new 2 seat front engine sports car.

Why would Camaro lose its back seats? I actually wouldn’t mind that because I’m used to two-seaters, but I’m just wondering what a new mid engine vette has to do with that.

init4fun 05-02-2018 08:21 AM

With the Vette going mid-engine that leaves an opening for the Camaro to go p market. Lose the back seat and become more expensive.

I personally hope the 7th gen is on its way. Looking at the 2019 refresh I can honestly say that I will not even consider replacing my car the 2019.

coruiz 05-02-2018 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnCobalt (Post 10170058)
Why would Camaro lose its back seats? I actually wouldn’t mind that because I’m used to two-seaters, but I’m just wondering what a new mid engine vette has to do with that.

The increase in pricing for the Vette could send some buyers over to the Camaro

Martinjlm 05-02-2018 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by coruiz (Post 10170240)

If that was the case, going up market wouldn't require losing back seats. I think Camaro will be able to spread more upmarket, but will still need to maintain moderately priced options, which will likely require marketing to people who get at least some usage of the rear seats. Going to a two-seater eliminates an entire class of customers who need some semblance of a rear seat (package shelf :lol:).

We're already at a point today where some Camaros cost more than some Corvettes. If Corvette goes further up market, it leaves more room for high priced Camaro variants, but you cannot take the entire line up there.

Gen6_1Le 05-02-2018 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coruiz (Post 10170240)

If they price the Mid engine Corvette starting in the $65k range some Camaro buyers will go that way. I do think we will see a hatch back in the next Gen Camaro.

MrChrisLS3 05-02-2018 09:08 AM

Quote:

That was a half joking comment. But the truth is that a lot folks that buy Corvettes like it for the front engine design that allows for a little storage for a road trip or going to the golf course, or to use it as a daily driver. The mid engine Corvette is going to change that dynamic, and those folks will be looking elsewhere.

JohnCobalt 05-02-2018 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 (Post 10170276)
That was a half joking comment. But the truth is that a lot folks that buy Corvettes like it for the front engine design that allows for a little storage for a road trip or going to the golf course, or to use it as a daily driver. The mid engine Corvette is going to change that dynamic, and those folks will be looking elsewhere.

Very true. People were always amazed at what I could store back there. I have a pic in my bio or whatever it’s called of one of the vettes I took on a camping trip. I put everything but the kitchen sink in there. That’s one thing I miss about the corvettes. I would LOVE a CAMARO with a HATCH and two seats. I understand why they use 2+2 but that would be a dream come true.

Overflow 05-02-2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by init4fun (Post 10170220)
With the Vette going mid-engine that leaves an opening for the Camaro to go p market. Lose the back seat and become more expensive.

I personally hope the 7th gen is on its way. Looking at the 2019 refresh I can honestly say that I will not even consider replacing my car the 2019.

I don't think that would be the smartest move. Corvette buyers are just that... Corvette buyers. And it's not a very big market. They're going to buy a Corvette even with the price increase. Camaro needs to and will stay in its market.

Also, I've heard from a very dependable source that the 7th gen will be a 2021 model year car.

RealG 05-02-2018 10:57 AM

Pushing the Corvette upscale , OK competition for ford GT maybe and other exotics. Pushing the already most expensive pony car (Camaro) with the lowest sales upscale and making it more unaffordable is not a good idea.imho