Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   TORCO FUEL ADDITIVE FOR MY ZL1 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388652)

Bigtime53 12-18-2014 08:12 AM

TORCO FUEL ADDITIVE FOR MY ZL1

I have been using torco in my Z and also have a dashlogic to monitor the knock sensor while driving. The gas I have been buying is 91 [highest available here] and is straight gas,no ethonal in it. I have been adding one can at each fillup and have had no knock. I filled up yesterday and now I am getting massive knock showing on my dashlogic. I would not think it is bad gas but it is possible as I have been buying gas at the same place for years. I added another can to the tank trying to stop the knock but that did not work.It is still showing massive knock. I am going to drive it real easy now until I burn the fuel all out then try another place I guess. My question is does the torco have a shelf life? I have had the torco for over 8 months now and just used the last 2 cans in the case.

ToddB 12-18-2014 08:29 AM

I store my Torco in 5 gal pail for years. No problem unless stored in a container the sun can get threw. After adding two cans and still getting knock you should get your car checked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camero5 12-18-2014 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigtime53 (Post 8119715)
I have been using torco in my Z and also have a dashlogic to monitor the knock sensor while driving. The gas I have been buying is 91 [highest available here] and is straight gas,no ethonal in it. I have been adding one can at each fillup and have had no knock. I filled up yesterday and now I am getting massive knock showing on my dashlogic. I would not think it is bad gas but it is possible as I have been buying gas at the same place for years. I added another can to the tank trying to stop the knock but that did not work.It is still showing massive knock. I am going to drive it real easy now until I burn the fuel all out then try another place I guess. My question is does the torco have a shelf life? I have had the torco for over 8 months now and just used the last 2 cans in the case.

Is your car modded? I'm assuming it is.

We have 93 here in TX and I've been filling up at the same gas station for years and when I got my ZL1 I started having knock. Changed to Chevron and it got better. Adding Torco helped eliminate that issue.

2011shelby 12-18-2014 08:46 AM

I believe Torco has a shelf life of 2 years, I use 1/2 can with 93 octane in my Shelby on every fill-up.

Spartan01 12-18-2014 08:50 AM

Silly question, but have you tried unplugging/resetting the Dash Logic? See if maybe it is not getting an accurate/valid reading?

jon6.0 12-18-2014 08:58 AM

How much KR is "massive"?

2013 ZL1 #7860 12-18-2014 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon6.0 (Post 8119782)
How much KR is "massive"?

When the piston comes out the bottom of the block? :bonk:

Swacer 12-18-2014 10:48 AM

Is the Torco necessary for a unmodded Z?

Most of the gas we have around me is 91 grade.

jon6.0 12-18-2014 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swacer (Post 8120000)

No it's not necessary.

itsadryheat79 12-18-2014 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swacer (Post 8120000)

No it is not necessary. The simple idea behind adding it is that a tuned car can take advantage of the extra octane and adjust stuff in the ECM to increase HP.

Here is a recent article on additives.

http://www.lsxtv.com/features/pri-co...he-next-level/

Swacer 12-18-2014 11:36 AM

Thank you guys

JantzenOKC 12-18-2014 12:08 PM

It makes no sense to me why we don't have 93 in Oklahoma. I know of ONE station I can get it at.

MTCobra 12-18-2014 12:23 PM

Any gas station can get a load of bad gas. If a terminal ran their tank down and didn't draw the water off the tank the truck could load some water. Another issue is ethanol settling out in the gas station tank. Ethanol raises the octane of the fuel so generally a lower octane gasoline is blended with ethanol to make the final octane. If the ethanol settles out (generally binds with water) you're left with lower octane gasoline.

2014 ZL1

LuckyZL-1 12-18-2014 12:25 PM

Happened to me also when I went to a hole in the wall gas station. I went home and siphoned it out and gave it to the lawn guy. went to my usual filling station and got the good stuff and all is well.