Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Carbon Fiber roof? (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339202)

Cinco DT 01-26-2014 07:12 PM

Carbon Fiber roof?

Anyone has picture of see thru carbon fiber roof from the inside that you can post? Thanks.

markk 01-26-2014 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinco DT (Post 7370318)
Anyone has picture of see thru carbon fiber roof from the inside that you can post? Thanks.

Cinco, just an FYI - carbon fiber is not a see-through material. The see through roof is polycarbonate ("Lexan"). Just a technicality on the description. Many haven't seen carbon fiber parts.

laborsmith 01-26-2014 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markk (Post 7370434)
Cinco, just an FYI - carbon fiber is not a see-through material. The see through roof is polycarbonate ("Lexan"). Just a technicality on the description. Many haven't seen carbon fiber parts.

Correct.

Laborsmith

Cinco DT 01-26-2014 10:06 PM

Thanks guy for clearing. Is it worth to pay almost $2K for visible carbon-fiber roof vs just the regular color match carbon-fiber roof?

Stingray 01-26-2014 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinco DT (Post 7370788)
Thanks guy for clearing. Is it worth to pay almost $2K for visible carbon-fiber roof vs just the regular color match carbon-fiber roof?

It's visually nice and if you really want it, it's best to get it as a factory ordered option on your build... much cheaper than ordering at the parts counter (double that 2K) after delivery of your C7.

C7BOB 01-26-2014 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinco DT (Post 7370788)

NO

Ka Razy 01-27-2014 09:06 AM

I opted to put that $2K towards a K40 radar detector :)

noname 02-09-2014 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture from inside my car, looking up at the florescent light in my garage.

The picture doesn't do it justice. It just comes out too dark, and if I use the flash, the flash just reflects back.

So let me describe it: The transparent roof is basically like driving a car with a large sunroof that is tinted blue. I like having a sunroof, so that's why I chose it. I think it also looks great from the outside as well.

I'd recommend your decision algorithm be:
A. Do I want a car with a sunroof?
-Yes: Get the transparent roof
-No, but I like the exterior look of having a darker roof: Get a carbon fiber roof
-No, and I don't really care: Get the stock roof.

OldJedi 02-09-2014 06:28 PM

2 grand for exposed carbon roof is a lot of money that can be used for performance options like Z51 and performance exhaust. I paid the 600.00 for the exposed carbon hood on my ZL1 because I felt it was worth what it would add to the car. I can not say the same for the 2K for the Vette roof, in my opinion. I am going to put the 2K into other options.

GForensic 02-10-2014 05:26 PM

Depends. I for one love the Carbon Fiber Roof and think it's well worth it. I saw a Velocity Yellow with the Z51 package at Carlisle this past summer with black wheels, Carbon Colored mirrors and spoiler and the Carbon Fiber Dash. The Carbon Fiber roof was the exclamation point for me. All together that combo was incredible. I knew in an instant that my was exact combo.

Of course it all depends on what you can afford. If the extra 2K is a stretch then put it towards something else like others are suggesting. If you can afford it and like it then I say do it. Is it practical? No. But then neither is buying a Corvette. :lol:

Do what makes you happy! I for one will be ordering it.
:thumbsup:

Emmdmd 02-10-2014 06:02 PM

Ditto GForensic. I ordered my crystal red Z-51 with the carbon fiber root because it just completes the look of this car and all the black accents. The roof was a must, along with the carbon flash mirrors/spoiler and black rims.

purpleRac3r 02-10-2014 09:31 PM

I too opted for the exposed carbon roof. I had an upper limit on price, but went with it for a couple of reasons. I already decided to go the 2LT trim, as a little more leather and built-in nav were not items I desired. I also went with Z51 since you can't beat the bang for the buck on it. As mine would be a long term daily driver, I skipped the mag ride, fearing maintenance/replacement costs once the warranty was up. And I passed on the dual mode exhaust, figuring there will soon be many aftermarket systems with equal or better sound to choose from and for similar money. That left me a couple large to work with, and I figured the exposed carbon top would be WAY more expensive to buy later. For the unique and upscale look it brings to the Stingray, I feel it's money well spent.

Everyone will have their own perspective on this, but ultimately it boils down to what makes YOU happy. I made my option choices to make me happy, not a single other person, and haven't regretted a single thing! Just have fun with the order and the Stingray once you get it!

GForensic 02-13-2014 10:12 AM

Emmdmd,

Sounds like a great looking car! Any pics you could post would be great…

As much as it sucks waiting I am the type who will wait to get the exact car I want. If I don't then I'll always kick myself that I didn't have the patience. It's all worth it once it comes with the exact configuration. For me that Carbon Roof is a must. Like you said it completes the look.

Although the new Z06 might change all of that….:lol:

Steven Bell 02-13-2014 05:51 PM

I originally ordered my car with the dual roofs. The car I bought has the color keyed/painted roof. I'm really glad I didn't get these 2 roofs. Both break up the sleek lines of the C7.