Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (http://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   Stingray Photos, Videos, Media (http://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Member gets time w/ Black C7 Corvette Stingray Prototype, Showing Dual Boost Gauges (http://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282807)

Tran 03-14-2013 09:41 AM

Member gets time w/ Black C7 Corvette Stingray Prototype, Showing Dual Boost Gauges
 
10 Attachment(s)
A site member recently got some hands on personal time with a black C7 Corvette Stingray prototype (#37). He has shared some of his photos with us :clap::high5:

Oh, and dual PSI boost gauges are shown in the dashboard gauge, pointing to potential forced induction soon?


Attachment 485264

Attachment 485265

Attachment 485266

Attachment 485267

Attachment 485268

Attachment 485269

Attachment 485270

Attachment 485271

Attachment 485303

Attachment 485272

Stingray 03-14-2013 09:52 AM

Black is beautiful... thanks for taking pics & posting! :thumb:
Wonder if he got some seat time as well? :popcorn:

Tran 03-14-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray (Post 6285225)
Black is beautiful... thanks for taking pics & posting! :thumb:
Wonder if he got some seat time as well? :popcorn:

Seat time yes, but no driving time. :)

Stingray 03-14-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tran (Post 6285260)
Seat time yes, but no driving time. :)

Thanks that's what I meant... darn no driving time but still a lucky man! St. Pat's tease came early...:D

RocketCutlass 03-14-2013 10:30 AM

Dual psi gauges in the LCD cluster?

philg4d 03-14-2013 10:31 AM

This C7 has a boost guage!!

Philr56 03-14-2013 10:38 AM

Corvette fans the world over are drooling on their keyboards right about now. :)

Tran 03-14-2013 10:41 AM

Added close-up of boost gauges:

http://www.corvette7.com/forums/atta...3&d=1363275646

Stingray 03-14-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philg4d (Post 6285408)
This C7 has a boost guage!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philr56 (Post 6285436)
Corvette fans the world over are drooling on their keyboards right about now. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tran (Post 6285444)
Added close-up of boost gauges

:faint2: ...want... Want... WANT! :pray:

FenwickHockey65 03-14-2013 11:25 AM

Dual boost gauges?

Do they actually do anything? I'd imagine they just sit there on the cluster at zero.

sonic656 03-14-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 6285608)
Dual boost gauges?

Do they actually do anything? I'd imagine they just sit there on the cluster at zero.

Thats kind of my question as well. Do they read vacuum at all?

What is the negative 12 on the boost gauge? 12inHG? No one says -12psi hahaha. Its called vacuum. Even so 12inHG is low for a healthy car idling. They must have just thrown some numbers on the dash for the heck of it and figured they will deal with it later.





I really like the center console and and ****pit look to the drivers seat. :thumb:

GretchenGotGrowl 03-14-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic656 (Post 6285597)
What is the negative 12 on the boost gauge? 12inHG? No one says -12psi hahaha. Its called vacuum. Even so 12inHG is low for a healthy car idling. They must have just thrown some numbers on the dash for the heck of it and figured they will deal with it later.

But that's how boost gauges work. So -12 psi converts to about 6.5 inHG (gauge). That seems about right for idle. Not sure how they will display it when it's really pulling some vaccum. Maybe the scale changes???

sonic656 03-14-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 6285624)
But that's how boost gauges work. So -12 psi converts to about 6.5 inHG (gauge). That seems about right for idle. Not sure how they will display it when it's really pulling some vaccum. Maybe the scale changes???


Ive never seen a negative number on a boost gauge unless you are dealing with BAR. 15-20inHg is normal for idling in my experiences. I've never heard anyone talk about negative PSI, its always vacuum(inHg).



Sorry for double posting on C7.com I figured it would get more traffic over there then here.

GretchenGotGrowl 03-14-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic656 (Post 6285634)
Ive never seen a negative number on a boost gauge unless you are dealing with BAR. 15-20inHg is normal for idling in my experiences. I've never heard anyone talk about negative PSI, its always vacuum(inHg).



Sorry for double posting on C7.com I figured it would get more traffic over there then here.

My boost gauge shows -PSI when idling and driving until I hit it hard. Remember, they are putting more and more electric stuff on cars so less is driven off vacuum I think. I don't think they have to run the same kind of vaccum they did 10 years ago.

sonic656 03-14-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 6285654)
My boost gauge shows -PSI when idling and driving until I hit it hard. Remember, they are putting more and more electric stuff on cars so less is driven off vacuum I think. I don't think they have to run the same kind of vaccum they did 10 years ago.

Maybe im just out of the loop. I cant even find a boost gauge that shows negative on google. Vacuum sure, negative PSI, nope. Or maybe its alien technology hahaha.

6.5inHG sounds awfully low. Even with not running things off of vacuum a healthy motor still creates it with the throttle closed. I think the numbers are just a placeholder for things to come.

GretchenGotGrowl 03-14-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic656 (Post 6285674)
Maybe im just out of the loop. I cant even find a boost gauge that shows negative on google. Vacuum sure, negative PSI, nope. Or maybe its alien technology hahaha.

6.5inHG sounds awfully low. Even with not running things off of vacuum a healthy motor still creates it with the throttle closed. I think the numbers are just a placeholder for things to come.

Maybe it is a placeholder and they will change it when a ZR1-like version comes out.

I think you can make any boost gauge show -PSI if you connect the reference tube to something that reads both boost and vaccum. I'm using an AEM TruBoost, so that's pretty common. If you hook it up directly to the turbos then you only read boost. If you hook it up to the manifold it will read both boost and vaccum. We hooked mine up to the manifold because I installed a vacuum pump and it gave me an easy way to adjust the vaccum I was pulling without installing another gauge in my car. Once I got that dialed in I just left it like that.

sonic656 03-14-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl (Post 6285756)
Maybe it is a placeholder and they will change it when a ZR1-like version comes out.

I think you can make any boost gauge show -PSI if you connect the reference tube to something that reads both boost and vaccum. I'm using an AEM TruBoost, so that's pretty common. If you hook it up directly to the turbos then you only read boost. If you hook it up to the manifold it will read both boost and vaccum. We hooked mine up to the manifold because I installed a vacuum pump and it gave me an easy way to adjust the vaccum I was pulling without installing another gauge in my car. Once I got that dialed in I just left it like that.


I know you can get it to read vacuum. What im saying is that -12 is not a number you will see on a gauge reading just PSI. 12inHg maybe since its reading vacuum but not -12PSI. The "-" on your boost gauge is just there to show you that the gauge is reading vacuum now. So -15 on aem truboost gauge is saying you have 15inhg. The positive number is psi obviously. I have never delt with those directly but have been told thats how it functions. Since its just leds and does not actually say "PSI or inHg" on the gauge. If it really was reading -15psi that would be a very unhealthy engine with very little vacuum.

Which brings me back to why the C7 gauge says PSI but yet have a negative number. Its probably just a placeholder though ya.

ec1990 03-14-2013 01:52 PM

It could also be a software thing for future. Why not use the same software for all models, even though there's no use for it in a NA car, a boost gauge could have a use in future vehicles.

Also what options did that car have? It looks like either a 2LT/3LT Z51 car with carbon fiber interior package.

Bruno 03-14-2013 04:29 PM

Woo supercharged or turbo motor coming??

Possibly Z06 and ZR1 both going forced induction?

nguyennhatquang 03-14-2013 05:53 PM

i hope the Z06 or ZR1 will be a revolution.
they should have DCT or at least Tapshift automatic in them.
the low volume sell of Z06 or Zr1 now because the lack of DCT or Auto..

shank0668 03-14-2013 06:58 PM

What were his impressions?

DrkPhx 03-14-2013 06:59 PM

Great pics. The boost gauge on the ZL1 is formatted the same way; reads vacuum in hg at idle and psi when in boost.

BTW - How does this site always get the cool pics first, hmmm?

sonic656 03-14-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrkPhx (Post 6287171)
Great pics. The boost gauge on the ZL1 is formatted the same way; reads vacuum in hg at idle and psi when in boost.

BTW - How does this site always get the cool pics first, hmmm?


Ya but what Im saying is that the one in the C7 does not read inHg. Its just PSI, which is not correct. Even if the -12 was supposed to stand for 12inHg thats pretty low vacuum.

DrkPhx 03-14-2013 07:29 PM

Good point. I didn't see the negative by the lower 12. Mine start at 30 in hg and goes to 15 psi for boost. Though I did set up a pid in my scan tool to log boost (only in psi) and it shows a negative boost number in psi at idle even though it's technically not negative boost.

sonic656 03-14-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrkPhx (Post 6287273)
Good point. I didn't see the negative by the lower 12. Mine start at 30 in hg and goes to 15 psi for boost. Though I did set up a pid in my scan tool to log boost (only in psi) and it shows a negative boost number in psi at idle even though it's technically not negative boost.


Ya I mean there is a formula to figure out what "negative" PSI would be in vacuum terms(inHg) but -12 is only like 5 or 6inHg. Its probably just there as a place holder for bigger things to come. Im just looking into it too much probably hahaha :smiling1:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.