Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   4th Generation Camaros (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Is the rain choking my Firebird? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19366)

daddyseth1 04-21-2009 11:18 AM

Is the rain choking my Firebird?

For the last few days here in Chicago, it has been raining immensely(aka a lot!, LOL), and when I go to crank my Firebird LT1 Formula, it will will not turn over. Yesterday morning I wanted to move it (and to hear that Magnaflow Exhaust :drool: ) and it would not start. When the rain stopped and it became dry, Vroom! Starts right up. Can anyone tell me or who has had the same experience tell me something about that and what should I do about it? Please help me. Thanks. :mad0259:

theholycow 04-21-2009 11:25 AM

It won't turn over, or it won't fire?

Turn over (aka crank): Everything is spun by the starter.
Fire: Fuel is burned and pistons are pushed by the combustion.

AFAIK, usually when an engine doesn't fire/run right in the rain, it's a problem in the ignition system.

daddyseth1 04-21-2009 12:56 PM

Yeah, everything will crank but it just won't start. It's crazy, and it only happens when it rains, if I do fix it, I am getting a tarp cover for her.

daddyseth1 04-21-2009 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 421315)
It won't turn over, or it won't fire?

Turn over (aka crank): Everything is spun by the starter.
Fire: Fuel is burned and pistons are pushed by the combustion.

AFAIK, usually when an engine doesn't fire/run right in the rain, it's a problem in the ignition system.

Like what perhaps?

speedster 04-21-2009 01:05 PM

I haven't seen it happen in quite a while, but with older cars, on very rainy days they would not fire due one of the following:

1.) Coil/Coil Wire (Optispark) gets wet/condensation buildup and arcs to engine ground before ever making it to distributor cap.

2.) Unsealed distributor cap gets condensation inside, cross arcs and/or can follow carbon tracks. (Optispark)

3.) Power lead to coil gets wet/condensation/dirt buildup and arcs to ground. No coil spark generated, but this is low voltage DC, so not very likely.

One trick we used to do that proves this is next time this happens, take a blow dryer (drying gf/wife's hair can wait) and dry off the connections to the coil/wire/distributor. Many times the car fires instantly.

Sierra 04-21-2009 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedster (Post 421566)
I haven't seen it happen in quite a while, but with older cars, on very rainy days they would not fire due one of the following:

1.) Coil/Coil Wire (Optispark) gets wet/condensation buildup and arcs to engine ground before ever making it to distributor cap.

2.) Unsealed distributor cap gets condensation inside, cross arcs and/or can follow carbon tracks. (Optispark)

3.) Power lead to coil gets wet/condensation/dirt buildup and arcs to ground. No coil spark generated, but this is low voltage DC, so not very likely.

One trick we used to do that proves this is next time this happens, take a blow dryer (drying gf/wife's hair can wait) and dry off the connections to the coil/wire/distributor. Many times the car fires instantly.

:word:

Black5thgen 04-21-2009 01:51 PM

Sounds like the opti-spark to me, what year is the bird?

theholycow 04-21-2009 01:57 PM

I think another trick is to wait for a dry day when it's running properly, and spray a fine mist of water in various areas.

daddyseth1 04-21-2009 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black5thgen (Post 421695)
Sounds like the opti-spark to me, what year is the bird?

Its a 1994 Formula

daddyseth1 04-21-2009 02:43 PM

Thanks guys. These tips are very helpful. I am still going to get a tarp for because I dont have a garage for her and I dont wannna use my wife's blow dryer everytime. She can get quite mean when it come to her hair dryer, and I dont wanna go buy another one because... she will take that one too.LOL.

daddyseth1 04-21-2009 03:14 PM

Well I may have found the problem and my solution all on the same website. This website rocks! I ahve found another website that I love besides this one :happyanim::popcorn:

http://www.lt1engine.com/tech/93-97-...emove-replace/

CamaroSpike23 04-21-2009 03:19 PM

the optispark seems to be getting wet. and when it does, often times it will not fire, or if it does, it will run like ass.

you could try putting a car cover on it, but that wont keep moisture from accumulating inside the opti. being that you have a 94, you dont have a vented opti. while you can convert it, its a time consuming process. best bet is to let the car dry out after a big rain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theholycow (Post 421712)
I think another trick is to wait for a dry day when it's running properly, and spray a fine mist of water in various areas.

yeah, if you want to destroy the opti.

water + opti = dead opti.

TFord 04-21-2009 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedster (Post 421566)

:word: I had an old cutlass that this would happen to during monsoon season in SE georgia

theholycow 04-21-2009 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 (Post 421989)
yeah, if you want to destroy the opti.

water + opti = dead opti.

:( Oops.

If it can't handle a fine mist, what happens when you drive through a puddle and it splashes up into the engine bay?