Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   NPP exhaust question (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305184)

Bmatth1162 07-01-2013 07:04 PM

NPP exhaust question

We've ordered a C7 and decided to go with the NPP exhaust. The dealer told us that the flaps open at 3200rpms to aid with sound/performance. What we don't understand is if 3200rpms is the only way for the flaps to open, regardless of WOT or not? It seems to me that at WOT below 3200rpms, the flaps should be open? But do they stay closed to matter what until 3200rpms? If anyone can clear this up for me, It'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

BPhillyc7 07-01-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmatth1162 (Post 6739932)
We've ordered a C7 and decided to go with the NPP exhaust. The dealer told us that the flaps open at 3200rpms to aid with sound/performance. What we don't understand is if 3200rpms is the only way for the flaps to open, regardless of WOT or not? It seems to me that at WOT below 3200rpms, the flaps should be open? But do they stay closed to matter what until 3200rpms? If anyone can clear this up for me, It'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

After much research I got the NPP as well. I could be wrong, but if you want to override this all you have to do is pull the fuse, so it is always on OR get a Mild to Wild switch installed aftermarket which will do the same thing but give you the option of opening or closing at your discretion. Hope that helps.

Frankster80 07-02-2013 02:26 PM

What about getting an aftermarket exhaust? Wouldn't that work just as well, and save some money?

I'm asking because I am debating on adding the NPP or not, and I've already went over my budget on options

laborsmith 07-02-2013 03:27 PM

Might work just as well, but not sure about cost unless one goes for something less than good. NPP with a wild to mild switch = best of all worlds. In my opinion.

Laborsmith

Frankster80 07-02-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laborsmith (Post 6743558)
Might work just as well, but not sure about cost unless one goes for something less than good. NPP with a wild to mild switch = best of all worlds. In my opinion.

Laborsmith

Thanks, seeing as how I haven't moved from 3000 in a month, I'm pretty sure I can add this with no problem

laborsmith 07-02-2013 06:42 PM

When you get to 3000 you can ask to change your order and even if your dealer agrees your dealer has to make the request. 2500 and before changes are no problem, at 3000 possible but not always granted. 3100 and above, no, at least I have never heard of a change after getting to 3100.

The timing for the next pull is close: I am thinking July 9 at which point those at 3000 will likely be moved to 3100 the next day. All this to say, if you are serious about wanting the change you should plan on visiting your dealer tomorrow; I do believe Thursday will be too late.

But I do not work for Chevy, so what do I know!

Laborsmith

Frankster80 07-02-2013 07:47 PM

Oh wow!!! I was not expecting that, I will probably just keep it the way it is then. Its already hard enough waiting, I don't want to do anything to make that any longer.

Hancock 07-02-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmatth1162 (Post 6739932)

Thanks!

From what I've heard from the Corvette team, especially the NCM Bash seminars, using the driver modes, you can choose sport, and it will leave the valves open. Can't say this 100% sure, but im about 95% sure.

tnspd 07-05-2013 10:34 AM

I have a ZL1 with what I'm guessing is similar dual mode exhaust. You can go the cheap way and pull the fuse and the exhaust stays open all the time. You can add an after market system that has a key fob that allows you to open or close the dual exhaust any time you want (mild to wild or exhaust commander). I have the key fob and just leave it open all the time. The exhaust on my ZL1 opens to dual mode after a certain rpm or at WOT no matter the RPM. I would suspect the C7 will work similar but not sure. My wife has a C7 on order and we will probably put an exhaust commander on her car as well.

TheCaptain 07-05-2013 06:17 PM

Check out what the Driver Mode Selector Controls. Exhaust is in there.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps553ddcd5.jpg

Hancock 07-05-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCaptain (Post 6754772)
Check out what the Driver Mode Selector Controls. Exhaust is in there.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps553ddcd5.jpg

Thanks for showing that, exactly what I was talking about.

Agent WHite 03-18-2014 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hancock (Post 6754835)
Thanks for showing that, exactly what I was talking about.

The chart still doesn't say that the valves are always open in Sport. It just says Sport. How are we supposed to decipher what that means in relation to valves being open or closed ALL the time?

GB EB 03-18-2014 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnspd (Post 6753453)
I have a ZL1 with what I'm guessing is similar dual mode exhaust. You can go the cheap way and pull the fuse and the exhaust stays open all the time. You can add an after market system that has a key fob that allows you to open or close the dual exhaust any time you want (mild to wild or exhaust commander). I have the key fob and just leave it open all the time. The exhaust on my ZL1 opens to dual mode after a certain rpm or at WOT no matter the RPM. I would suspect the C7 will work similar but not sure. My wife has a C7 on order and we will probably put an exhaust commander on her car as well.

You don't need to pull the fuse... you can leave it open all the time with the settings.

Under settings/ driving modes you have two settings for NPP exhaust:
1-auto - follow the driving modes- meaning loud in sport and track.
2-off- loud all the time.

REVVIC 03-19-2014 02:15 AM

GB EB has it right. In settings the three exhaust sounds can be synched to tour, sport and track. Or "off" which opens all the valves all the time. You can see the back two valves in the two out board pipes. I run on off and love it.