Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive Discussions (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   This week at General Motors... (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280164)

FenwickHockey65 01-18-2013 08:46 AM

This week at General Motors...

I figured I'd start a thread like this every now and then just to post stuff that doesn't really require actual articles, but just snippets from stuff that happened over the week.

2014 Chevrolet Corvette C7 Stingray Revealed
-This is one of those things that if you haven't heard about yet, you're living under a rock. And that wouldn't even make sense if you're reading this here. :p

60 years ago yesterday...
-The Corvette made its public debut in concept form at the Waldorf Austoria in New York.

2014 Cadillac ELR Revealed
-Based off the 2009 Cadillac Converj Concept, ELR uses the same electric/ICE powertrain as Volt, but with software updates and improvements. With 35 mile EV-only range, 3 less than the 38 offered by Volt, but with 207 HP and 295 lb ft of torque, ELR is more powerful and luxurious than Volt and also offers a new "Regen on Demand" feature where drivers can use steering wheel paddles to activate regenerative braking without using the brake pedal. Also: In a world dominated by four door EVs, GM has seen fit to retain the coupe bodystyle of the Converj concept.

Spied: 2014 Chevrolet Malibu
-The 2013 Malibu has had a rocky start. To address some of the concerns the media and consumers have had, GM has fast-tracked an MCE for the car to bring it in line with the new Chevrolet front fascia design seen on the 2013 Traverse and 2014 Impala. 2014 Malibus were spotted the other day wearing camo on the front ends, but it appears as though the rest of the car will remain unchanged, save for some interior tweaks (specifically addressing rear seat legroom, a common criticism in reviews).

2013 Buick Encore Ship to Commerce
-The latest entry to the new Buick portfolio is on its way to dealers. South Korean-built, Gamma-II based Encores will be in dealer inventories very soon. Like the successful Verano, Encore will be carving out a new niche in compact entry-level luxury vehicles.

Buick updates on the way
-LaCrosse and Regal are both receiving MCEs to bring their front fascias in line with the 2013 Enclave. LaCrosse should also get a fairly substantial interior revision if the spy photos of Chinese market LaCrosses apply to NA-spec models as well.

FR-S/BRZ Competition from Chevrolet?
-Mark Reuss said at Detroit that GM was interested in developing a small, nimble RWD coupe to compete with Toyota's. The Code 130R/130RS concept was in this segment, but some are questioning if perhaps GM is developing an even smaller RWD platform, as Camaro is slated to go on Alpha in the near future.

Death of the Holden Commodore
-The VF Commodore and our Chevrolet SS sedan may be the last of a dying breed. The Commodore, which ceded its top-selling position in Australia to the Mazda 3 recently, has seen declining sales for years now. Although nothing is official, GM's insistence on global products plus Ford's announcement of the death of the Falcon sedan seems to spell the end for what's probably been the most sought-after international product here in North America.

Cadillac lineup expansion
-GM's luxury brand is reportedly almost doubling in size over the next few years. A fullsize RWD flagship to compete with the Mercedes Benz S-class and BMW 7-series is reportedly in development, as well as a proposed BMW 1-series competitor, and new crossovers to supplement the SRX.

guiLT 01-18-2013 09:02 AM

When is the 2014 Malibu suppose to go on sale? 3rd quarter this year?

FenwickHockey65 01-18-2013 09:08 AM

Yep, about then.

guiLT 01-18-2013 09:21 AM

So why aren't they changing the outside?

FenwickHockey65 01-18-2013 09:24 AM

Just the front fascia for now. They can't do a whole lot of exterior updates because the design is locked in due to the global wheelbase for SWB Epsilon II.

CamaroSkooter 01-18-2013 09:24 AM

<---still wants more news on the Colorado... :D

FenwickHockey65 01-18-2013 09:25 AM

Ehh not much in terms of Colorado news. It's all about the full sizes right now.

CamaroSkooter 01-18-2013 09:29 AM

The Colorado is going to get an inferiority complex...

OctaneZ28 01-18-2013 10:59 AM

Kinda strange and funny how the 2013 Malibu will be a one-off.

Is GM doing anything exciting at the Chicago Auto Show?
I'll be there on press days.

FenwickHockey65 01-18-2013 12:20 PM

There will be something at Chicago but I have no idea what.

OctaneZ28 01-18-2013 12:54 PM

I'm waiting for them to post the Feb. 7 media schedule, but nothing yet.
Then again, the schedule often doesn't tell you what it is either. lol :D

FenwickHockey65 01-18-2013 03:23 PM

Well we do have a Cadillac concept, 3rd gen CTS, and refreshed Buick sedans to be shown sometime this year.

imported_LS1hawk 01-18-2013 05:12 PM

Think we'll here anything more about the SS before its shown at Daytona?

guiLT 01-18-2013 05:51 PM

I think I'll be going to the Daytona 500 again this year. I'll take tons of pictures on behalf of C7!

mlee 01-18-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorvetteSkooter (Post 1464)
<---still wants more news on the Colorado... :D

X2

Camaro_Corvette 01-18-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorvetteSkooter (Post 1470)
The Colorado is going to get an inferiority complex...

Cough...Diesel...Cough

FenwickHockey65 01-18-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS1hawk (Post 1565)
Think we'll here anything more about the SS before its shown at Daytona?

Probably not. VF Commodore is being revealed the same day. Which reminds me...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overflow (Post 1570)
I think I'll be going to the Daytona 500 again this year. I'll take tons of pictures on behalf of C7!

And send them to me first. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette (Post 1633)
Cough...Diesel...Cough

Eh. Maybe.

Updating the first post with some stuff I forgot.

GaBoy25 01-18-2013 11:08 PM

Diesel....mhmmmmmm.

FenwickHockey65 01-20-2013 11:36 PM

Finally have some new Colorado news.

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/2014...#axzz2IaMGIg47

GaBoy25 01-20-2013 11:37 PM

This looks familiar. Even under camo.

FenwickHockey65 01-20-2013 11:41 PM

There might be some front end and interior tweaks but overall, the overseas-spec Colorado is mostly what we'll get.

There's a Canyon coming as well.

Considering how the midsize market is currently owned by Tacoma, if GM plays their cards right they could have a hit on their hands. Fuel economy will be the name of the game with these trucks.

GaBoy25 01-20-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 2495)
There might be some front end and interior tweaks but overall, the overseas-spec Colorado is mostly what we'll get.

Considering how the midsize market is currently owned by Tacoma, if GM plays their cards right they could have a hit on their hands. Fuel economy will be the name of the game with these trucks.

If you could just see my grin:D

FenwickHockey65 02-05-2013 07:21 PM

Some new stuff to bring up...

2014 Holden VF Commodore Reveal
-The long awaited (and possibly the final) next-generation Commodore will be revealed in Australia this Saturday. Which brings us to...

2014 Chevrolet SS Reveal
-The US market's version of the Commodore, the Chevrolet SS, will be unveiled next Saturday, February 16th, before the NASCAR event on that day.

Fairfax Assembly Drama
-Fairfax Assembly has been idled for two weeks as inventories of LaCrosse and Malibu mount. Both cars are scheduled for a refresh for the 2014 model year.

2013 Chicago Auto Show
-Press days start this Thursday. So far I have no idea what will be unveiled. Chevrolet is having a press conference that day so I am assuming (and a few other sources concur) that the 2014 Cruze will be revealed.

2014 Chevrolet Cruze
-Cruze is supposed to be getting a facelift to bring it in line with the 2014 Impala/Malibu. In addition, this year marks the arrival of the much coveted diesel Cruze, which may deliver fuel economy figures close to 50 MPG.

GaBoy25 02-05-2013 07:59 PM

50 mpg?

GM is coming out of the corner swinging. Great to see them pushing harder.

My girl is going to flip for the new tahoe. I feel my wallet shrinking. ..thanks gm. No seriously thanks :wub:

FenwickHockey65 02-05-2013 08:13 PM

That's what we're not sure about. Last month a rumor came up that the diesel Cruze would do around the Cruze Eco's FE figures. As disappointing as that sounds, you have to remember that A) The 2.0L Turbodiesel is a much more powerful engine for Cruze and could make it an even more fun to drive car than the 1.4T and B) The Cruze Eco achieves 42 MPG with a manual. If the Cruze Diesel achieves around 42 MPG with an automatic, it'll be appealing to a lot of people.

Right now I'm guessing low to mid 40s for an automatic, and close to 50 for a manual. Just a guess.

GaBoy25 02-05-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 6532)
That's what we're not sure about. Last month a rumor came up that the diesel Cruze would do around the Cruze Eco's FE figures. As disappointing as that sounds, you have to remember that A) The 2.0L Turbodiesel is a much more powerful engine for Cruze and could make it an even more fun to drive car than the 1.4T and B) The Cruze Eco achieves 42 MPG with a manual. If the Cruze Diesel achieves around 42 MPG with an automatic, it'll be appealing to a lot of people.

Right now I'm guessing low to mid 40s for an automatic, and close to 50 for a manual. Just a guess.

Its an exciting venture for any american car maker. Im glad to see gm taking a step forward in this class that has up until now been ignored for so long. Mainly because of ignorance though im sure there are many more factors taken into consideration. Either way its promising.

I would like to see a platform similar to this in a light duty diesel truck offering as well the suv/crossover segment.

FenwickHockey65 02-07-2013 11:01 PM

Supposedly the head of GM Holden said work on the Commodore after VF has already begun.

I wouldn't take that as 100% confirmation that the Commodore lives, but...let's hope so.

mayciegirl 02-22-2013 05:12 AM

Hi there, I'm new at this forum. I know that all of you are updated to issues regarding car, I have read a news that The Big Three car makers in Detroit have made it back onto their feet. Even GM, which lapsed into bankruptcy, is turning a profit. Yet the city of origin - Detroit - needs much more of a push. What should the Motor City do? When have you desired more details about a used or new auto and resorted to an online search on “equity auto?” Your search is over, all the info you must have is at CarDealExpert.com! Learn more about Car Deal Expert? Car Deal Expert!

Stingray 03-06-2013 08:53 AM

GM struggles to overcome Chevrolet and Opel rivalry

""We don't want to have a Chevrolet right next to an Opel anymore and our entire product strategy is geared towards more clearly differentiating Opel models from their Chevrolet counterparts," a senior GM manager told Reuters on condition of anonymity, adding this included a stronger focus on exclusive showrooms for both brands in future."

Medesin 03-07-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 6228229)

It would be nice to see the 4 cylindaer Duramax make it into the US market. I built an S-10 about 8 years ago and put an Isuzu 2.2 ltr in it. If I knew the price of gas would be as high as it is, I would have kept it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 6232266)

I am very intersted in a Cruze Diesel. I drive about 30 thousand miles a year and I would like to think a Cruze Diesel would last a long time.