Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Steering Wheel Radio Controls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706)

Bart 02-26-2007 08:47 PM

Steering Wheel Radio Controls

Hello. I'm new to the site (though I've been trolling for a little while). I'm quite excited to see a new camaro on the streets. I've owned 2, but went to the Pontiac side for the 4th gen cars.

My first question to post is, will the 5th gen have the steering wheel mounted radio controls? I have them on my TA and love them, and I see most of the new Chevy's have them including the Vette. But neither of the concepts have them, and the design of the steering wheel used doesn't seem like a good fit.

Bart

Moose 02-26-2007 09:02 PM

First, welcome Bart! :thumbsup:

That's an interesting question. ;) Thinking about the steering wheel in the concept, I'm not sure if that one we see will make production as I don't know that it'll hold an airbag? :confused:

So, if there is another "design" for the steering wheel, I would venture to guess that wheel mounted audio/cruise control would be a good possibility. :iono:

Ed

EllwynX 02-26-2007 09:07 PM

I personally expect them to be an option since they're pretty common nowadays. I had them in my '02 Camaro. Loved 'em, up until I changed the head unit and then they were useless.

But I'm not so interested in changing out the head unit's anymore, so will make full use of them in a 5th Gen. And the way most cars are going with these unique radio controls, it's getting harder to switch them out anyway.

Radio and Cruise on the wheel would be nice.

OverAnxious 02-26-2007 10:16 PM

I have steering wheel controls and an airbag on my GMC :D

Great question. That is one of the creature comforts I have grown to appreciate for sure :D

ChevyNut 02-26-2007 11:46 PM

I dont find a use for them when i drive my moms 2002 GMC Envoy i always find myself reaching down to the controls. Also i dont know who all here is getting a stick which would make the volume controls pretty well useless as the volume controls are on the right hand side of the steering. Another thought of mine is what will the sterio be will it be similar to the 10 speaker in the GTO or something even better?

TAG UR IT 02-27-2007 12:27 AM

Hope it's all Boston Acoustics. That would be sweet! As for the steering wheel controls, adapters are sold for aftermarket head units so the steering wheel controls can still be used. They're out there.

OverAnxious 02-27-2007 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChevyNut (Post 7584)
I dont find a use for them when i drive my moms 2002 GMC Envoy i always find myself reaching down to the controls. Also i dont know who all here is getting a stick which would make the volume controls pretty well useless as the volume controls are on the right hand side of the steering. Another thought of mine is what will the sterio be will it be similar to the 10 speaker in the GTO or something even better?

There are plenty of chances to use the right side controls with a manual transmission :D

Bart 02-27-2007 09:12 AM

Thanks for the welcome Ed. I'm in the camp, that I will probably keep this car stock, so I hope they include these options.

Casull 02-27-2007 10:07 AM

Our Civic has them. It is funny becasue when we were shopping for it, I had to convince my wife to get them becasue I always wanted them. Now that I have them I never use them, I always reach over and manually turn the knob.

However, I would probably still get them on my Camaro if they were an option....

LowRider 02-27-2007 10:21 AM

I think it is a good idea, but I like the wheel that is on it.

35th02ss 02-27-2007 12:38 PM

Welcome to site..........I would have to say that it would be on the new car. Might come with an uplevel option....I hope it does anyway....

SoFlaZ 02-27-2007 11:01 PM

I think those controls would be neat cuz i've never used them before. Another feature that would be cool is the remote start. My friend with a new HHR that has it and its pretty sweet. Except idk how well it might work with a manual tranny

Al Robinson 02-28-2007 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoFlaZ (Post 7646)
I think those controls would be neat cuz i've never used them before. Another feature that would be cool is the remote start. My friend with a new HHR that has it and its pretty sweet. Except idk how well it might work with a manual tranny

It will NOT work with the manual tranny because you have to fully depress the clutch before it will start. It's a safety interlock.

EllwynX 02-28-2007 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoFlaZ (Post 7646)

I DEFINITELY want Remote Start on my Camaro even if I have to have it installed aftermarket.

Don't want a manual, so I don't have to worry about that.