Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   LT1 (6.2L V8) Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   C7 catch can (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355264)

Chevyman2 04-27-2014 08:54 AM

C7 catch can

I am going to be picking up that corvette vert form bowling green soon as its finished being built. Coming from a camaro I understand the importance of the oil catch can with these directed injected engines. I used elite on my camaro and have one on my 14 tahoe without any issues.

I am not versed on c7 engine but noticed elite showing a double can setup for vet.

I have no intention on any performance add ons or racing.

Is the two can setup recommended for C7?
I assume clean side and dirty side?

Has anyone installed Elite system on C7? single or double?

What catch can is recommended by this community for use on C7?

i know there are many on the market .

Thanks in advance

Searious 04-27-2014 10:29 PM

Supposedly, there are some baffles and such on the PCV side designed to knock out the oils which reduces the need for one. I've the the Elite Engineering one in mine, but have not put any real miles yet on it (~150, with not a drop so far). I don't know if anyone else on the board has any experience with the LT1 without any forced induction.

Chevyman2 04-28-2014 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Searious (Post 7618186)
Supposedly, there are some baffles and such on the PCV side designed to knock out the oils which reduces the need for one. I've the the Elite Engineering one in mine, but have not put any real miles yet on it (~150, with not a drop so far). I don't know if anyone else on the board has any experience with the LT1 without any forced induction.

do you have pick of how its mounted you mind sharing?

Searious 05-01-2014 06:22 PM

Been out on business for the last 2 weeks, once I get back I can get one (and get out of this awful rental car...)

Chevyman2 05-05-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Searious (Post 7629638)
Been out on business for the last 2 weeks, once I get back I can get one (and get out of this awful rental car...)

Are you running yours on passenger or. Drivers side is it similar to ls3 as far as having clean side and dirty side?

purpleRac3r 05-05-2014 02:22 PM

I've looked at Elite Engineering's website for C7 stuff. There is indeed a clean side and a dirty side, and they have products for both. You can view the instructions for all on the site. I'm ordering one this week. I already have one of theirs on my '74 Stingray with TPI.

Chevyman2 05-05-2014 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpleRac3r (Post 7638820)
I've looked at Elite Engineering's website for C7 stuff. There is indeed a clean side and a dirty side, and they have products for both. You can view the instructions for all on the site. I'm ordering one this week. I already have one of theirs on my '74 Stingray with TPI.

What's that baffles op talking about?

purpleRac3r 05-05-2014 08:03 PM

From the context of his post he's describing some of the internal components of the factory PVC system. The baffles are usually little deflectors mounted inside the valve covers to help reduce oil pick-up by the PVC system. They will probably help some, but apparently not enough, based on some photos Elite has on their website of C7 LT1 intakes.

BTW, your car will use a slightly different setup than mine from Elite. You have a non-Z51 versus my Z51. The dry sump oil system has a couple of hoses routed differently. In fact, yours looks to be simpler according to the instructions. Both mount to a ground wire bolt on the driver side, on the top of the frame. I'm getting ready to order mine now!

Chevyman2 05-07-2014 07:48 AM

well here is pic of elite setup found on web

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/c...e_Stingray.pdf

Elite Engineering 06-20-2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Searious (Post 7618186)

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpleRac3r (Post 7638820)

Let us know if you have any questions at all.

:thumbsup:

purpleRac3r 06-21-2014 09:22 AM

Well, after an unexpected delay, I've finally ordered my catch can from Elite Engineering, just this morning. I decided to go with the "better" level, which includes not just the catch can but their clean air separator as well. I will post some photos once I receive it, and once I install it.

On a side note, a few years ago, a friend gave me his Elite catch can when he sold his C5. I installed it on my '74 Corvette with TPI fuel injection, and have been impressed at how well the catch can removes oil from the intake charge. And I really like the easy way of emptying the can - just unscrew the cup and pour it out. So many use a little petcock valve on the bottom of a fixed can, which in the tight confines of a Corvette engine bay are all but impossible to keep from getting oil everywhere.

Great design, Elite! I look forward to receiving my C7 kit!

ntonkin 09-28-2014 10:08 PM

Put an Elite Engineering "best" in my C7 (Z-51) about 1500 miles ago. They sent me a lower profile clean side cap for the oil tank as the first one actually held the hood up slightly. No issues as yet. I had my first oil and filter change at a little over 1,000 miles and put on the catchcan shortly thereafter. I'll check it when she goes on the blocks for the winter.

purpleRac3r 09-29-2014 03:42 PM

I recently returned from a 3800-mile road trip. Upon checking my Elite Engineering can, I found just over 2 ounces in it! This would have gone right back into the intake without the catch can. Great design, Elite! I am absolutely pleased and plan to get one soon for the 2008 Silverado I just bought.

Elite Engineering 10-01-2014 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purpleRac3r (Post 7980288)
I recently returned from a 3800-mile road trip. Upon checking my Elite Engineering can, I found just over 2 ounces in it! This would have gone right back into the intake without the catch can. Great design, Elite! I am absolutely pleased and plan to get one soon for the 2008 Silverado I just bought.

Thanks for the information and post!

Drive safe :thumb: