Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chevy Camaro vs... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Camaro v. Challenger (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257)

Casull 10-10-2006 09:33 PM

Camaro v. Challenger

Whats up guys. I was reading an article today about the Challenger and realized that there has been a lot of debate about how the Camaro will stack up against the Mustang, but almost no one ever really mentions the Challenger. According to the article I read (I think it was a little dated) the challenger is suppsed to pack around 400-450hp.

I was just wondering why I haven't really seen any debate on how the Camro will stack up against the Challenger. What do you all think? The Challenger does look like it is a mamouth car, so I am wondering if they will have a problem keeping it at a reasonable weight.

Moose 10-11-2006 08:29 AM

The Challenger is a big car...about the same size as the 300C. :eek:

It'll hold 4 more comfortably, but the added weight will be a detrement. If they put the "big" HEMI in it, that'll help, but my feeling is it'll be more like a "boulevard bruiser", big, and fast, but not as nimble or quick as the new Camaro.

DARK AGE 53 10-11-2006 11:37 AM

I'm hoping GM builds the retro G.T.O, if GM does build the G.T.O I may have to get one.:thumbsup:

Moose 10-11-2006 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53 (Post 2226)
I'm hoping GM builds the retro G.T.O, if GM does build the G.T.O I may have to get one.:thumbsup:

Save your pennies Al...;)

TAG UR IT 10-11-2006 03:53 PM

I couldn't give any specifics on the Challenger...not my forte. But, I've heard it's supposed to have the 6.1 ltr Hemi..some 430-50 hp. It looks like it's going to be a heavy one as well. And it's supposed to be produced in a limited #. My guess is less than 50K units a year. That should put that price tag up there for sure. It will be another musclecar, but I would think the Camaro would still take it.

DARK AGE 53 10-11-2006 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose (Post 2228)
Save your pennies Al...;)

Ed, Will do, I'm in for a bright red G.T.O if it happens.:)

Twin Turbo 10-12-2006 06:09 AM

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7327/2010gtoma9.jpg
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...8&d=1155768899

I've posted these over on the "Other Cars" thread......but as we're talking GTOs here....

I love that silver one........merely a photoshop of the Camaro, but I'm loving that revised front end. Now twin lamps either side with halos :w00t:

LowRider 10-12-2006 10:54 AM

Man I think the Camaro will take it all when it comes out.

DARK AGE 53 10-12-2006 11:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo (Post 2258)
I've posted these over on the "Other Cars" thread......but as we're talking GTOs here....

I love that silver one........merely a photoshop of the Camaro, but I'm loving that revised front end. Now twin lamps either side with halos :w00t:

I can see that being a Firebird/Trans Am but not a G.T.O, I've seen this drawing of the G.T.O.

Bruno 10-16-2006 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAG UR IT (Post 2238)
I couldn't give any specifics on the Challenger...not my forte. But, I've heard it's supposed to have the 6.1 ltr Hemi..some 430-50 hp. It looks like it's going to be a heavy one as well. And it's supposed to be produced in a limited #. My guess is less than 50K units a year. That should put that price tag up there for sure. It will be another musclecar, but I would think the Camaro would still take it.

If those #'s are right we're gonna need a nicely hopped up version of the Camaro. Hopefully GM keeps the weight down so the car will not only be fast but handle well. Camaro has Challenger beat in the looks department now and in the future. Challenger's retro look might be cool at first but that look is gonna get old real fast.

Mestizo 12-11-2006 05:47 PM

From what I've heard, they are planning for it a to be a 4 person car. However, it will lose 4 inches compared to the Charger/Magnum/300C. So it will lose some weight *sigh* .

The current Charger R/T has 340hp and Charger Daytona R/T has 350hp, both with the 6.1L. My guess is Dodge would use that engine, unless they want the SRT-8 engine with 425hp which would cause a price spike (taking it way out of my range).

The problem is that on allpar.com they mention that a 5 spd auto-stick will be used for the R/T and a 6spd for the SRT-8. IF it's true that sucks.....I want a stick with a muscle car, and I don't want to spend 40K to get one. If that's true....I'm taking Challenger off my prospective buying list.

official_style 12-12-2006 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mestizo (Post 3648)
From what I've heard, they are planning for it a to be a 4 person car. However, it will lose 4 inches compared to the Charger/Magnum/300C. So it will lose some weight *sigh* .

The current Charger R/T has 340hp and Charger Daytona R/T has 350hp, both with the 6.1L. My guess is Dodge would use that engine, unless they want the SRT-8 engine with 425hp which would cause a price spike (taking it way out of my range).

The problem is that on allpar.com they mention that a 5 spd auto-stick will be used for the R/T and a 6spd for the SRT-8. IF it's true that sucks.....I want a stick with a muscle car, and I don't want to spend 40K to get one. If that's true....I'm taking Challenger off my prospective buying list.

the rt and daytona have the 5.7L, but those numbers are correct. only the srts have the 6.1L. i would never buy one though...

Mestizo 12-12-2006 10:31 PM

Yea....you're right I got ahead of myself.
5.7 R/T
6.1 SRT

BigRedCornhead 12-14-2006 10:37 AM

To me the biggest variable in this discussion will be the price tags on both