Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Mag Ride Question (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301595)

alfie43 06-12-2013 09:49 PM

Mag Ride Question

My order is at 1100. For the time being, I can still make changes to it. I am wondering if I should add Mag Ride Control. I have ordered the Z-51 package.

Here's the question; performance driving aside, are there any other advantages mag ride will have for "normal driving".

I clearly understand the performance driving benefits, but can I also get an improved touring ride in terms comfort with Mag Ride? Michigan roads are...well. let just say they leave a lot to be desired.

I can't ask my salesman...he is clueless.
Mariano (Alfie)

rmyers 06-13-2013 09:01 AM

As the owner of a ZL1, I can tell you that it's amazing tech. I would definitely recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philr56 06-13-2013 09:23 AM

Nice ride! Following up on the original question, could you elaborate on how Mag Ride improves normal driving? I plan on using my C7 as a daily driver (well, on good weather days!).

Thanks.

alfie43 06-13-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmyers (Post 6665166)
As the owner of a ZL1, I can tell you that it's amazing tech. I would definitely recommend it.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you be more specific? Thanks

sotirisf 06-13-2013 09:56 AM

I have mag rid on my 09 vert, and here is what I can tell you. For normal driving, i keep it in normal mode, which is just soft (although not really soft at all) enough for city driving and touring. But when I switch it to sport, the difference is noticable. I have done this during highway driving, and the effect is that the car stiffens up, the cars handling is crisp and more responsive. Gone is the body lean, and any softness in the ride. It feels like the suspension is handling forces much faster. If you have it in sport mode while doing normal city driving, keep your mouth shut or you might spit out a filling going over bumps. But in spirited highway driving, its a lot of fun. When I am just touring at highway speeds, I keep in in tour mode- but once in a while when I want to hammer away- especially when I want to thread the needle or punch it, a simple turn of the nob and fun begins

elegant 06-13-2013 11:25 AM

MSRC is on every new Ferrari that leaves the factory (except the F1 race cars). It is that good that Ferrari buys GM's magnetorheological shock system,but generation two, shock system for every one of its cars. However, the C7 will pioneer the third generation MRSC system, which is a much better system (reacts faster, 2 coils instead of 1).

Also, it comes standard with performance traction management. What is PTM?
See www.youtube.com and under the search box (top right), type in:
how it works: PTM

Great system! If I were buying a C7 but couldn't afford or didn't want many options, my first one would be Z-51, the second one would be FE4 (MSRC).

alfie43 06-16-2013 01:45 PM

Mag Ride Added

Well, that's one benefit of being stuck at 1100; you can still change your order.

I stopped at the dealership and changed my order to include FE4; Magnetic Selective Ride Control.

I should be going to 2000 very soon. Whew...that was close!

OldJedi 06-20-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alfie43 (Post 6676806)
Well, that's one benefit of being stuck at 1100; you can still change your order.

I stopped at the dealership and changed my order to include FE4; Magnetic Selective Ride Control.

I should be going to 2000 very soon. Whew...that was close!

Alfie, I believe you made a great choice going with Magnetic Ride. I love it on my ZL1. I have the Z several times and it makes the heavy chassis handle like it is much lighter. On the new Vette with the Z51 package, it is going to be awesome. You won't regret the decision.

ssmike 06-22-2013 01:15 PM

If and when I ever decide to trade my SS I will definatly do the Z51 WITH mag ride!

volsfan0911 06-22-2013 10:33 PM

As long as you're springing for the Z51 package then the mag shocks are a no-brainer IMHO. Not only do they allow for variable stiffness but also a degree of active suspension with ultra fast reaction times. I've driven the F55 package on late model C6s and it's an easy choice for me. Especially with the supremely crappy roads in and around Baltimore. Buttoned down when carving up corners and twisty roads but can allow an acceptable ride in daily driving duties. Plus should work great with mode select.

Scott@Bjorn3D 06-23-2013 04:07 PM

Good move my friend. You are going to love the car. I need to win the lottery or something so I can get one.