Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Interesting cars at the show. (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415462)

rontammy0 07-09-2015 12:10 AM

Interesting cars at the show.

2 Attachment(s)
Came across a interesting challenger and a non boss 302 boss mustang. Why people pose I don't know. The challenger I liked. It says pettys garage. I've never seen a car like this.

rontammy0 12-04-2015 08:08 AM

Still havnt seen a Pettys Garage challenger on the road.....anyone else seen this car?

JerTM 12-04-2015 08:57 AM

Does the Challenger have two spoilers? It also needs a reworked front bumper cover to look more like the old one if it's going to try to pull of that spoiler.

DRKS1D3 12-04-2015 09:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JerTM (Post 8769840)
Does the Challenger have two spoilers? It also needs a reworked front bumper cover to look more like the old one if it's going to try to pull of that spoiler.

They actually make an entire kit, made to look like a '69 Daytona or '70 Superbird. The originals are HOT, these kits are NOT! :frown: My Dad's friend Rege, still has an original '69 Daytona that he's had since high school. They blew up the original 440 four times over the years. :pout:

paul84043 12-04-2015 09:19 AM

Super NO!...

Interesting story as to why they made that wing so high...
It's not scientific and has nothing to do with aerodynamics.

Reichler 12-04-2015 09:22 AM

Shit, there is a guy on here with a V6 Camaro transformed to look like a ZL1.

xc_SS/RS 12-04-2015 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul84043 (Post 8769886)
Super NO!...

Interesting story as to why they made that wing so high...
It's not scientific and has nothing to do with aerodynamics.

gotta get that trunk open somehow! I didn't know that till I looked it up lol

MLL67RSSS 12-04-2015 11:15 AM

Not necessarily. The Daytona and Superbird were all about aerodynamics. In the wind tunnel they had discovered to achieve the desired stability a rear spoiler would need to be over the 3" tall NASCAR limit and would produce lots of aerodynamic drag. The wing gave the desired downforce without the drag of a too-large illegal spoiler. Plus as a side benefit the tall vertical sections acted as twin vertical stabilizers like on a plane and helped keep the rear of the car stable and in-line. I believe aerodynamics was the first concern, once designed it would be nice if one could access the trunk. These cars were built for one reason and one reason only, the race track. It is just that NASCAR required that a quantity of street versions must be made to qualify them for NASCAR.

http://www.allpar.com/model/superbird.html

Two stories explain the rear spoiler. Some wrote that it's three feet tall so the trunk can open. An interview with the engineers at Chrysler, long ago, included a comment to the effect that as the numbers kept getting better as they raised the spoiler, until it was three feet off the car, that's where they left it. Either or both could be true.

“The ‘69 race Daytona package got the front lift of a standard Charger to zero, from 1,200 pounds at race speeds. A bigger front spoiler, further forward, would make some downforce – relative to a no lift condition. The rear wing would be used for down force and to balance the car, aero wise. To get the same effect with a rear spoiler would cause a lot of drag! The spoiler would have had to be well beyond the NASCAR limitations of 3 inches.

In early 1965, I rented the University of Michigan wind tunnel for extensive tests. I hired University of Michigan-associated aerodynamicist Jim Amick to manage the tests and compile data into a report. Ron Martin built the wind tunnel models, and worked with Amick between runs making changes.

Amick's final report had a unique solution...The Wing.

Amick’s March 1965 report included the following: “The divergence speed for a given combination of spring rates can be increased indefinitely by the installation of a horizontal airfoil at the rear of the vehicle. A convenient place for such a stabilizer might be above the rear deck. An airfoil of 15-inch chord mounted 20 inches about the rear deck and spanning the full width of the car would probably provide complete aerodynamic stability.

DGthe3 12-04-2015 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS (Post 8770150)
Not necessarily. The Daytona and Superbird were all about aerodynamics. In the wind tunnel they had discovered to achieve the desired stability a rear spoiler would need to be over the 3" tall NASCAR limit and would produce lots of aerodynamic drag. The wing gave the desired downforce without the drag of a too-large illegal spoiler. Plus as a side benefit the tall vertical sections acted as twin vertical stabilizers like on a plane and helped keep the rear of the car stable and in-line. I believe aerodynamics was the first concern, once designed it would be nice if one could access the trunk. These cars were built for one reason and one reason only, the race track. It is just that NASCAR required that a quantity of street versions must be made to qualify them for NASCAR.

http://www.allpar.com/model/superbird.html

Two stories explain the rear spoiler. Some wrote that it's three feet tall so the trunk can open. An interview with the engineers at Chrysler, long ago, included a comment to the effect that as the numbers kept getting better as they raised the spoiler, until it was three feet off the car, that's where they left it. Either or both could be true.

“The ‘69 race Daytona package got the front lift of a standard Charger to zero, from 1,200 pounds at race speeds. A bigger front spoiler, further forward, would make some downforce – relative to a no lift condition. The rear wing would be used for down force and to balance the car, aero wise. To get the same effect with a rear spoiler would cause a lot of drag! The spoiler would have had to be well beyond the NASCAR limitations of 3 inches.

In early 1965, I rented the University of Michigan wind tunnel for extensive tests. I hired University of Michigan-associated aerodynamicist Jim Amick to manage the tests and compile data into a report. Ron Martin built the wind tunnel models, and worked with Amick between runs making changes.

Amick's final report had a unique solution...The Wing.

Amick’s March 1965 report included the following: “The divergence speed for a given combination of spring rates can be increased indefinitely by the installation of a horizontal airfoil at the rear of the vehicle. A convenient place for such a stabilizer might be above the rear deck. An airfoil of 15-inch chord mounted 20 inches about the rear deck and spanning the full width of the car would probably provide complete aerodynamic stability.

Yeah, I'm thinking that if the best position for the spoiler were say a foot lower they would have put it there instead, leaving with a trunk that only opens partway.

xc_SS/RS 12-04-2015 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 8770216)
Yeah, I'm thinking that if the best position for the spoiler were say a foot lower they would have put it there instead, leaving with a trunk that only opens partway.

As I read it they had to put the wing up so high to get the trunk to fully open instead of partial opening but I agree with you that if the most optimal spot for the wing was a foot lower it would've ended up there.

rontammy0 12-05-2015 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS (Post 8770404)
As I read it they had to put the wing up so high to get the trunk to fully open instead of partial opening but I agree with you that if the most optimal spot for the wing was a foot lower it would've ended up there.

I liked it in person.....now when I look at the pics I'm not sure about the wing.

MLL67RSSS 12-08-2015 09:45 AM

Yes to be NASCAR legal they had to make production cars with those parts, and if you didn't know production cars they could not sell, so I don't think trunk access was a big concern. It seems back in the day almost no one wanted to buy these wild outlandish cars. Many sat on lots for so long (2 yrs) the dealers would take the wing off and replace the nose-cone with a Coronet bumper just the try and get them sold and off the lot.

102SS 12-08-2015 10:35 AM

It looks like a big blue Lightning McQueen;) Kaa Chow;)

Rockhead 12-08-2015 11:53 AM

Not to dis the Mustang guys ,that one looks like a boss to me but I think they all look alike.