Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   First 5th gen.. is this the dreaded AFM? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469640)

caratemymoney 10-11-2016 06:23 PM

First 5th gen.. is this the dreaded AFM?

So I just bought a 2010 2SS and it's a pretty amazing car

Except when i'm going slow. I'm in NYC so there's a ton of traffic. If i'm going 15-30mph or so and i'm basically coasting or very light throttle and I want to go a little faster, I feel a light vibration or bog. Is this the AFM i've seen all these horrible things about? It feels alot like the torque converter shudder in my old mustang but nowhere near as harsh, maybe more like going over a light rumble strip for a second

imaSSnake 10-11-2016 06:33 PM

The MDS system in my previous vehicle, 2014 Grand Cherokee SRT 6.4L was far more noticeable and rough than the AFM on these cars. Well mine anyway.

I *think* you can tune it out. There is a delete kit available

qcman 10-11-2016 06:35 PM

Yup thats likely it but it can be tuned out or use a Range device to disable it. My advice don't waste money on the Range (I did) and pay a wee bit more for a custom tune from Dynosteve on here. It will kill the AFM and wake that L99 up into something wild!

myold88 10-11-2016 06:35 PM

First off you must have the L99 Auto to have AFM. If it's an "exhaust noise" that's what it probably
is but their shouldn't be any shudder imo. The AFM on my SS never really bothers me even with
my Solo aftermarket exhaust. Don't notice it.

Homeless Man 10-11-2016 06:43 PM

AFM is drreaded lol wtf. Your acting like there's something majorly wrong with the car. It's a technological advancement.

caratemymoney 10-11-2016 07:19 PM

i'll get it tuned out of gears 1-4 probably this weekend

if I leave my obd scantool / bluetooth will it force it into v8 mode all the time?

JCunningham 10-12-2016 03:07 AM

do you have a manual or auto transmission? only the auto has AFM. your scan tool wont keep it in V8 you need it tuned or a range device.

caratemymoney 10-12-2016 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCunningham (Post 9355174)
do you have a manual or auto transmission? only the auto has AFM. your scan tool wont keep it in V8 you need it tuned or a range device.

It's auto... if I use the paddle shift it's nice and smooth all the time

PalmerGA 10-12-2016 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caratemymoney (Post 9354751)
i'll get it tuned out of gears 1-4 probably this weekend

Tune it out completely! You obviously don't like it and you really don't need. AFM is a scam GM pulled on the government to avoid the gas-guzzler penalty. At continuous slow speeds (like city driving) it's maddening. At highway speeds (where 5th and 6th is most often used - certainly 6th) you won't really notice a drop in MPGs. Just get rid of it completely - your L99 will love you for it, and you will to.

hrpiii 10-12-2016 02:33 PM

It could also be something else..... depending on the traffic speed, or gear the car is in, or how hard/easy you are on the throttle, it may be trying to find the right gear you want to be in. Like it's wanting to either downshift or maybe trying to hold that gear.

Mine will bog like that if I am coming off the interstate on an exit ramp at a good speed and slowing hard as I approach a Yield. As the engine rpms are coming down as I slow and see the coast is clear and back on the throttle, the car was still downshifting and now I'm on the throttle hard again. There is a slight bog right at that point. But that is the only time I have experienced it.

I didn't usually see AFM kick in unless I'm cruising at a set speed for a short time. I have it tuned out now.

scots67 10-12-2016 07:31 PM

Get with dyno steve, let him hook you up! you will not regret it. People that try to tell themselves its not bad or you will get used to it, are just plain missing the boat! you will fall in love with your car all over again. AFM is just plain wrong:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Z06-SS 10-12-2016 09:09 PM

At only 900 miles I couldn't take it no longer......SCT tuner w/Dyno Steve took care of the AFM and improved performance.

The Blue Angel 10-12-2016 10:46 PM

Just did a long tube header and tune on my 2014 1SS L99 Auto. Night and day difference!! With the tune the AFM is turned off. I have all 8 all the time. My Camaro takes off like a rabid cheetah!!! LOL!!!!!

Congrats and have fun!! :burnrubber: