Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Exterior Vents (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280158)

Stingray 01-17-2013 08:43 PM

Exterior Vents

So the press release news has this excerpt:

Many hours were spent in the wind tunnel hand-sculpting surfaces for aesthetics and performance. Functional exterior elements include:

Models with the automatic transmission or Z51 Performance Package feature a functional vent on driver’s left side directing air over a heat exchanger for the transmission fluid and a similar arrangement on the passenger side that directs air over a heat exchanger for the electronic limited slip differential. Airflow through the differential and transmission heat exchangers exit through the aircraft-inspired taillamp vents and lower-rear fascia air outlets
Does this mean that m/t non-Z51 models will have a pair of faux non-functional vents or no vents at all on top of each quarter panel? Consequently, the rear taillamp vents will also be faux? :confused:

http://www.chevrolet.com/new-2014-co...ry-full-11.jpg

GaBoy25 01-17-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray (Post 1272)
So the press release news has this excerpt:

Many hours were spent in the wind tunnel hand-sculpting surfaces for aesthetics and performance. Functional exterior elements include:

Models with the automatic transmission or Z51 Performance Package feature a functional vent on driver’s left side directing air over a heat exchanger for the transmission fluid and a similar arrangement on the passenger side that directs air over a heat exchanger for the electronic limited slip differential. Airflow through the differential and transmission heat exchangers exit through the aircraft-inspired taillamp vents and lower-rear fascia air outlets
Does this mean that m/t non-Z51 models will have a pair of faux non-functional vents or no vents at all on top of each quarter panel ? :confused:

http://www.chevrolet.com/new-2014-co...ry-full-11.jpg

My God can you stop making me panic......I'm about to burst into flames lol.

Someone please chime in....I have a box of tissues within reach.:(

Stingray 01-17-2013 08:47 PM

Attention to detail... nitpicking... analyzing... damn I want this car. :D

GaBoy25 01-17-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stingray (Post 1276)
Attention to detail... nitpicking... analyzing... damn I want this car. :D

You know it's bad@ss when it plum makes your stomach hurt:eek:

I apologize for the redneck rhetoric.

OctaneZ28 01-17-2013 08:58 PM

Good questions.
I personally would hope for no vents rather than fake vents.

Stingray 01-17-2013 09:40 PM

Yup. I wouldn't like to see a faux pas here...

http://s7.postimage.org/x9pvd7c4b/19...tte_reveal.jpg

...nor here

http://s7.postimage.org/i74wuetqz/26...tte_reveal.jpg

Camaro_Corvette 01-17-2013 10:01 PM

Interesting...

FenwickHockey65 01-17-2013 10:08 PM

Seems like non-Z51 models will have no vents. Could be wrong.

ec1990 01-17-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 1342)
Seems like non-Z51 models will have no vents. Could be wrong.

I think what it is, the vents are on all cars, all cars vent the brakes and radiator. But the Z51 adds the electronic limited slip diff, so to vent this on the passenger side they added a vent and then they probably added one on the driver's side to make it uniform. All cars still use vents, the Z51 pack just uses more. Either way the brake cooling and radiator cooling is the most important part, the rest is gravy.

GaBoy25 01-17-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C7_Z51 (Post 1362)
I think what it is, the vents are on all cars, all cars vent the brakes and radiator. But the Z51 adds the electronic limited slip diff, so to vent this on the passenger side they added a vent and then they probably added one on the driver's side to make it uniform. All cars still use vents, the Z51 pack just uses more. Either way the brake cooling and radiator cooling is the most important part, the rest is gravy.

And I like gravy..............that's the problem.:eek:

ec1990 01-17-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaBoy25 (Post 1365)
And I like gravy..............that's the problem.:eek:

That's why getting the Z51 package is a given!

GaBoy25 01-17-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C7_Z51 (Post 1366)
That's why getting the Z51 package is a given!

I'm going to go ahead and approve a high five on that one. As corny as it may be.:cool:

ec1990 01-17-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaBoy25 (Post 1368)
I'm going to go ahead and approve a high five on that one. As corny as it may be.:cool:

And a high five shall be given. This car has to be car of the year.

FenwickHockey65 01-17-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

The rear fender vents is what I mean. Good lord I'm tired.

SummoneR 01-18-2013 02:40 AM

The Carbon Flash Metallic color is an add on too. Very cool I wish that color was available for the entire car.

Scott@Bjorn3D 01-18-2013 07:01 AM

Yeah have to get the Z51 with magnetic suspension. Wife wants it to be blue, I like red but could live with blue if that is what it takes for her to let me get one.

Angrybird 12 01-23-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

I think the other vent is for the transmission cooler.

Vette TPI 01-23-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngryBird 12 (Post 3755)
I think the other vent is for the transmission cooler.

What they said! Both are functional. :)

Camaro_Corvette 01-23-2013 08:15 PM

So, when washing this car. How much of a pita will these be? I would assume they would drain easily, or you just avoid getting water in them at all. I can imagine drying this thing. Ugh...

ec1990 01-23-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette (Post 3761)
So, when washing this car. How much of a pita will these be? I would assume they would drain easily, or you just avoid getting water in them at all. I can imagine drying this thing. Ugh...

A lot of tape, and these things have to make these things resistant to water for rain.

Camaro_Corvette 01-23-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C7_Z51 (Post 3765)
A lot of tape, and these things have to make these things resistant to water for rain.

It will be a cold day in hell before I tape off a car just to wash it. :lol:

GaBoy25 01-23-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette (Post 3768)
It will be a cold day in hell before I tape off a car just to wash it. :lol:

If it got to that point I would just stare at it:pray:

Sawyer 01-23-2013 09:30 PM

So if I read this right, the base model with auto has functional vents?

Vette TPI 01-23-2013 10:24 PM

I can't imagine GM or Corvette would design this car not knowing water would evidently get water in the vents... :nono:

GaBoy25 01-23-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vette LM7 (Post 3842)
I can't imagine GM or Corvette would design this car not knowing water would evidently get water in the vents... :nono:

But I've seen vettes with factory tires not fit to drive in a small drizzle.

I'm not worried about water as much as functionality. They've killed it on so many aspects; I highly doubt this was a wtf moment among them.:stingray:

CamaroSkooter 01-24-2013 09:09 AM

Every Stingray will have the vents, regardless of options.

They are primarily for aerodynamic function to reduce turbulence under the vehicle and provide downforce.

However, if you have an automatic transmission and/or the Z51 Performance Package, the vents will also function to direct airflow over the additional heat exchangers.

;)

FenwickHockey65 01-24-2013 09:10 AM

I'm sure the vents will drain themselves.

CamaroSkooter 01-24-2013 09:11 AM

Self-aware vents?! :bolt:

Camaro_Corvette 01-24-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 (Post 3949)
I'm sure the vents will drain themselves.

I know they will drain out somehow. I just hope they are not as bad as the C6 tail lights after you dry it. Come back ten minutes later with a water streak:mad:

FenwickHockey65 01-24-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette (Post 3983)
I know they will drain out somehow. I just hope they are not as bad as the C6 tail lights after you dry it. Come back ten minutes later with a water streak:mad:

I'm so glad GM's moving away from stuck-on side moldings specifically because I'm tired of having to wipe off water streaks from them.

Stingray 10-10-2013 12:14 PM

I think I found the answer... straight from GM's Engineering Dept. addressing both Z51 and base models:
Aerodynamics:
 Notice: The base Corvette Stingray has a three piece lower front air dam. The Z51 option only uses the two outer pieces and does not use the center section.

With race-proven aerodynamics, every square inch of the 2014 Corvette Stingray exterior is designed for performance and improved high-speed stability. All five air vents are highly functional and contribute to cooling or reduced lift.

All models have a new grille/radiator arrangement and hood vents. Venting air out of the hood reduces total front-end lift for improved steering response at high speeds. The front fender side coves also help vent underhood air pressure to reduce aerodynamic drag.

Models with the automatic transmission or Z51 Performance Package feature a functional vent on driver’s left side directing air over a heat exchanger for the transmission fluid and a similar arrangement on the passenger side that directs air over a heat exchanger for the electronic limited slip differential (ELSD) cooler.

Airflow through the differential and transmission heat exchangers exits through the aircraft-inspired taillamp vents and lower-rear fascia air outlets.

The Z51 Performance Package also includes brake-cooling ducts, a unique rear spoiler and additional air deflectors for enhanced track capability.

GreenC7Z-51 10-12-2013 06:42 AM

Here's the scoop! The base model has fake vents, the Z51 has trans. cooler on driver side, diff. Cooler on passenger side, the vert. has NO vents on top they are under the car.

Water is not a problem when washing, but when drying the car there are so many places that hold small amounts of water you have to blow it out with pressure air. The mirrors hold water as on the C5 blow them out or it will run down the door. The vents, , wiper arms, gas cap, tail lights, front grill, door opening pocket, and around the rear deck lid also need to be dried in this way.
(Or just let it dry for several hours sitting in the sun.)

I hope this helps!

GreenC7Z-51 10-12-2013 06:45 AM

Sorry I forgot about the vent for the trans on the auto, I don't do auto trans.