Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Targa top durability (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314600)

jdb1218 08-23-2013 06:48 AM

Targa top durability

My C5's targa top used to leak on the passenger side. The seal looked fine (i.e. not cracked) but water would still enter the cabin.

Any other C5 owners notice this? Any current C6 owners out there who can confirm the problem was fixed in that generation?

I had the clear top, which was prone to swirl marks (I did not use automatic car washes). Is that still an issue?

Thanks.

SCM_Crash 08-25-2013 04:14 PM

My C5s were both FRCs. So I never had this issue. However, the C7s have been thoroughly tested in different weather. One possible reason the water could have been leaking in might have been chassis flex allowing the seals to rub a little. The C7 has a super stiff chassis and that would alleviate that issue if that was the cause.

volsfan0911 08-27-2013 08:18 AM

I know several C6 owners (with solid & clear targa tops). None have bitched about leaking. The earlier years (think Jim's is a '08?) had the squeaking issue which mostly resolves with lubrication along the seals. I don't think the polycarbonate is super sensitive to scratching but then again, it's an exterior car panel. SCM is probably dead on with less chassis flex = less/no leaking. And this will be GM's 3rd go round with this targa setup since the C5 (I'm discounting the C4 since it wasn't latched). Even they should be able to get it perfect this time! :nod:

laborsmith 08-27-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volsfan0911 (Post 6945108)
I know several C6 owners (with solid & clear targa tops). None have bitched about leaking. The earlier years (think Jim's is a '08?) had the squeaking issue which mostly resolves with lubrication along the seals. I don't think the polycarbonate is super sensitive to scratching but then again, it's an exterior car panel. SCM is probably dead on with less chassis flex = less/no leaking. And this will be GM's 3rd go round with this targa setup since the C5 (I'm discounting the C4 since it wasn't latched). Even they should be able to get it perfect this time! :nod:

Cute. I had no problems on either the C5 or C6 but did go through TWO recalls on the C6 to fix the targa top, the second recall was to fix the first recall. So yes, this third bite at the apple should be perfect.

Laborsmith

jdb1218 08-27-2013 11:43 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

jsvette 08-27-2013 12:18 PM

Interestingly the Owner's Manual states that you should not spray glass cleaner directly on any of the roof panels, but rather spray it on a microcloth and then wipe the panel.:cool:

SCM_Crash 08-28-2013 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsvette (Post 6951929)
Interestingly the Owner's Manual states that you should not spray glass cleaner directly on any of the roof panels, but rather spray it on a microcloth and then wipe the panel.:cool:

Same way you're supposed to care for TV and monitor screens.

But the truth is that you tend to not spray too much (which leaves streaks) when you spray it on the rag rather than directly on the surface of whatever you're cleaning.

volsfan0911 08-28-2013 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laborsmith (Post 6945155)
Cute. I had no problems on either the C5 or C6 but did go through TWO recalls on the C6 to fix the targa top, the second recall was to fix the first recall. So yes, this third bite at the apple should be perfect.

Laborsmith

a recall to fix a recall? ouch...........

jsvette 08-28-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash (Post 6954581)
Same way you're supposed to care for TV and monitor screens.

But the truth is that you tend to not spray too much (which leaves streaks) when you spray it on the rag rather than directly on the surface of whatever you're cleaning.

I understand the logic on a TV and or monitor screen because of the electronics, but a roof panel??? It would make more sense to me if the manual stated do not spay glass cleaner directly on a hot roof panel...:noidea: