Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Putting higher than 93 octane in a stock non tuned SS? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414281)

Cars and Tea 06-28-2015 09:16 PM

Putting higher than 93 octane in a stock non tuned SS?

What can I expect putting higher than 93 octane in a stock non tuned SS?

I know I will not benefit from additional hp, power, etc. but will it run better?

I am going to the track which they have race fuel pumps and was wondering?

jrhagen 06-28-2015 09:28 PM

High octane gasoline burns slower than low octane gasoline. The slow burn prevents engine knock when cylinder pressures are high. If your engine runs well and does not knock or ping on low octane gasoline, there is no advantage in switching to higher octane gasoline.

joeybsyc 06-28-2015 09:54 PM

In less words, no.

Tampa Tuning 06-28-2015 09:54 PM

Being that the car is rich from the factory and still knocks about 4-6 degrees, if the higher octane prevents some of that knocking, you'll pick up a couple HP.

agent5 06-28-2015 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrhagen (Post 8506762)
High octane gasoline burns slower than low octane gasoline. The slow burn prevents engine knock when cylinder pressures are high. If your engine runs well and does not knock or ping on low octane gasoline, there is no advantage in switching to higher octane gasoline.

I think it's more a parameter of ignition temperature so when high compression ratio and heat are mixed with the fuel it won't ignite before the spark is met. It may burn slightly slower but that's a side effect, not the main reason to use it.

Camaro Dude 06-28-2015 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning (Post 8506795)
Being that the car is rich from the factory and still knocks about 4-6 degrees, if the higher octane prevents some of that knocking, you'll pick up a couple HP.

Interesting, but curious..

What was the fuel's AKI number when you observed KR?

At what rpm did the KR occur at?

White14SS 06-29-2015 07:49 AM

Get tuned for it like I did, running sunoco 260 gt 100 unleaded. Picked up 30hp from 93.

Tampa Tuning 06-29-2015 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White14SS (Post 8507158)
Get tuned for it like I did, running sunoco 260 gt 100 unleaded. Picked up 30hp from 93.

If you tune for a higher octane like that, you always need to run that level octane. That's why I tell guys not to add fuel oxygzers on tune day unless you plan to run it every day like that. Sure you'll get a higher number, but I dont like the risk Vs return if you dont run that adder every day because your traveling away from your favorate fuelling station

White14SS 06-29-2015 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning (Post 8507311)
If you tune for a higher octane like that, you always need to run that level octane. That's why I tell guys not to add fuel oxygzers on tune day unless you plan to run it every day like that. Sure you'll get a higher number, but I dont like the risk Vs return if you dont run that adder every day because your traveling away from your favorate fuelling station

It works out for me it's 7 bucks a gallon but it's not my dd and I pretty much just cruise locally.

Neuf Cruz 06-29-2015 11:24 AM

Quote:

OP is stock!
Not bashing but I think tuning your car to run on basically "race Gas" for under 500hp is really not worth it. Many Mods you can do on pump gas to achieve this.

rfopt 06-29-2015 11:51 AM

Quote:

Do you know what your WOT air fuel ratio is roughly? Was the sensor that recorded the air fuel ratio placed at the tailpipe?

Bodywerks 06-29-2015 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuf Cruz (Post 8507493)
OP is stock!
Not bashing but I think tuning your car to run on basically "race Gas" for under 500hp is really not worth it. Many Mods you can do on pump gas to achieve this.

Or do the mods, bump up compression, and run the race gas permanently to pick up 30+ over what the mods would pick up. Just sayin':iono:

el ess A 06-30-2015 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bodywerks (Post 8508615)
Or do the mods, bump up compression, and run the race gas permanently to pick up 30+ over what the mods would pick up. Just sayin':iono:

Roll that dice. Octane ratings for pump race gas are AVERAGE. So the gas you used one day, may have better octane rating than the next. Thus you just inserted a variable into the equation, risking problems. Use only enough octane to keep your car from knocking. Anything more is a waste. In fact you can actually lose power if your octane is too high.

I would never recommending tuning for a particular grade of racing fuel like that, but hey, it's your grenade.

For stock, and if you have 93 pump gas plentiful around you, tune for that and call it a day. If you want more, put headers on it. From a cost standpoint, considering that the Sunoco at 7 bucks/gal is about double what you pay, you could pay for those headers quickly than "renting" the HP through the gas. Using 93 and at say, 20 mpg, the headers could pay for themselves in about 8500 miles.

Camaro Dude 06-30-2015 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning (Post 8506795)

?????

Please elaborate?