Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/index.php)
-   Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Track Mode (https://www.corvette7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360429)

NC C7 05-26-2014 11:53 AM

Track Mode

I ran across some information on a YouTube video that I wasn't aware of and would like to put this out there for other opinions. A salesman at phillipschevy reviews the interior controls of a new c7 for his customer before they take delivery. At 21.00 he says to never put the car in track mode unless you are on a race track. That if you are street driving with the car in track mode and you hit a bump or pothole the cars suspension will be severly damaged. Could this be true, I've never heard it mentioned before.

gthal 05-26-2014 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NC C7 (Post 7694814)
I ran across some information on a YouTube video that I wasn't aware of and would like to put this out there for other opinions. A salesman at phillipschevy reviews the interior controls of a new c7 for his customer before they take delivery. At 21.00 he says to never put the car in track mode unless you are on a race track. That if you are street driving with the car in track mode and you hit a bump or pothole the cars suspension will be severly damaged. Could this be true, I've never heard it mentioned before.

B.S. With a capital B and S. Track mode is firm and, I suppose, could make tire damage more easy to accomplish but it is FAR from being so stiff that you are at risk for normal bumps and road issues. The sales guy is being dramatic.

purpleRac3r 05-26-2014 08:10 PM

A salesman who doesn't know his product! I've already had mine numerous times in Track mode on the street with no problems whatsoever. And it makes no difference at all on non-mag ride cars. Besides, I can't imagine any pot hole being harder on the suspension at around town or even highway speeds than getting the entire car completely airborne at race speeds, as they did while on the Nurinburg Ring during development. And if it is such a big issue, they neglected to mention it in the owner's manual. Its only warning is that Track mode is intended for track use only and that only very experienced drivers should use the various Competitive Driving Modes, as they limit the ability of the car to compensate for driver error. Nothing is mentioned about damage to suspension.

Hulkamaniac 05-26-2014 08:33 PM

Just three words to say about that video... B and S. :D

Two words to say about Track Mode... AWE SOME! :thumbup:

sahowley 06-05-2014 01:56 PM

Quote:

I have almost 14,000 miles drive mine daily to and from work in track mode no issue. Nor do I believe the stiffer setting can cause any damage. It's still not as jarring and a 1984 c4 w/ z51. Now that car will loosen your fillings!

Ret9580 06-13-2014 12:09 PM

Quote:

Yep, my knucklehead salesman told me the same thing, said it would "ruin" the car......I was like "then why the F#@K is there a track mode?????"

Number 3 08-16-2015 09:30 AM

I remember an issue when they were first shipping cars with MR shocks and that was without the car on you would not have damping and the car would bounce around a LOT. Not sure how that was ever resolved.

So the dealer may be combing misinformation to come up with erroneous facts. Would never imagine a dealer could do that ;)