Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Continental or Nitto? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338116)

2011*Camaro*SS 01-20-2014 12:25 PM

Continental or Nitto?

I need to decide this soon... Which is the better tire overall?

Nitto Motivo or Continental ExtremeContact DWS

Continental: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....r=RS%20Package

Nitto: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...634&vid=020300

Price isn't really a big deal, I have a friend that will get the best price available. I have been looking for too long and am in need of new rears, but ill be replacing all 4.

Thanks for your opinion!

Houston 45th 01-20-2014 06:39 PM

I just got new tires also and i was in the same situation you are in. I went with the Nittos because they had a better warranty from discount tire and i liked the tread pattern over the DWS.

ex-SS-ve 01-20-2014 10:16 PM

ill have to post up the pics of my continental dws tires. I ended up going with them as I wanted a good looking tire that matched in 275 & 315 sizes.

grocerygetter 01-21-2014 12:00 AM

Conti

ex-SS-ve 01-21-2014 12:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Side shot

ex-SS-ve 01-21-2014 12:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
One more

jmelchio 01-21-2014 06:10 AM

I got about 40,000 miles out of my Continental DWSs. I use my car as a daily driver. I liked the tires. They were relatively quiet, good traction, and good tread life.

axis 01-21-2014 09:11 AM

In a test I saw, the DWS's ranked just below the Pilots in overall performance. They have lots of sizes available as well. I'm running 295/40's in the rear and 255/45's in the front, all on the OEM 20's. They look perfect on the wheels, with just a very slight bulge. My thinking is, they help protect the lip and the extra sidewall softens the ride a tad (I have 1.25in drop springs). They were actually cheaper than the OEM size DWS's. I've driven in rain, sleet and snow and they flat out work. There are better tires for specific purposes but not many for all around performance. FWIW, tirerack is about $20/tire cheaper on the DWS's.

I'm not saying they are better than the Nitto's cause I haven't used them or heard of anyone using that particular tire.

2011*Camaro*SS 01-21-2014 10:10 AM

Wow! Thanks for all the replies! My main concerns and the reasons im not getting the pirellis are tread life and sound. Sounds like everyone likes the Conti's, i've asked a lot of different tire places too, but the Nittos are fairly new so that might have some effect. I like the warranty on the Nittos, but I like the look of the Conti's. I want to keep the performance look, but enhance ride and sound. Thank you for the pictures ex-ss-ve!

2011*Camaro*SS 01-21-2014 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Houston 45th (Post 7353762)
I just got new tires also and i was in the same situation you are in. I went with the Nittos because they had a better warranty from discount tire and i liked the tread pattern over the DWS.

Will you post some pictures? So I can see if they look sporty enough? Thakns!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmelchio (Post 7354878)
I got about 40,000 miles out of my Continental DWSs. I use my car as a daily driver. I liked the tires. They were relatively quiet, good traction, and good tread life.

When you replaced, did you stick with the Conti's? If not, what did you switch to?

firedruish 01-21-2014 03:39 PM

I will be buying my nitto motivo in two months and i have been researching for a long time...they are for a 11 rs...and I'm a flat out aggressive driver. What I have found is this...The utrg on the continentel is 480 and nitto is 560 which makes for potentially longer tire life. ..less sticky as they are harder. Also reading other forums and on tirerack...There are those customers that say the continental loose alot of performance after halfway point on the tread life. Yes the nitto are new...but so far it's constantly rated a great tire. Tire rack doesn't sell nitto so another source has to be found. Big O tires is a nitto dealer and their prices aren't half bad.

Dexman1349 01-21-2014 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmelchio (Post 7354878)

I have almost 24k on mine. They are awesome all-seasons. Very good cold weather grip, even better grip in snow & ice. I couldn't move my car with the stock PZeros, but I've driven the Conti's in as much as 4" of snow without problems.

The only downside is they give up a bit of grip during the hot summer months. I'm considering going with a 2nd set of rims/tires for summer use and keeping the Conti's on my stock rims for Oct-March use.

jmelchio 01-22-2014 04:44 AM

I replaced the Conti's with General G-MAX AS-03s, but it was only due to cost. I put a lot of miles on my car, so I tried the less-expensive tires this time. If money were not an issue, I definitely would have bought the Contis' again.

I actually bought a set of slightly used Conti's for the rears. As soon as the General rear tires wear out, I'll put the used Conti's back on.

hrpiii 01-22-2014 06:44 AM

My winter tire in the Conti Extremes. Love them for the cold, wet traction.